We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Nice

Britain
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Trains from Nice

Hello,

I will be flying into Nice in August and will need to get a train to St Raphael. As I only have a short amount of time in between the flight arriving and the train leaving, I would like to purchase the train tickets online beforehand. However, when booking online you have to specify which time train you need, if I were to the miss the train (plane is late etc) am I able to still catch a later one with my ticket?? Will there be any additional charge??

Thank you

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Nice

The online travel info/ timetable search/ online booking functions of French Railways belong in the outer reaches of Hades. They are totally useless and you should not be troubled - that's the experience everyone has. Its about par for a nationalised industry.

Your best bet is not to waste time getting in to Nice Ville at all, but to get yourself to the off-airport train station Nice St Augustin, and pick up the first train Direction Cannes, which if not for St Raphael, you can change at Cannes easily for an on-bound St Raphael train. The station has a ticket office, and buy directly there, not online.

Getting to St Augustin is not difficult but it is fiddly, but don't be put off by that, it saves you oodles of time

…aeroport.fr/Passengers/Directions-and-parki…

If you are outside normal business hours, the station has ticket machines that accept chipped British Visa and Mastercard, and are fairly intuitive, more so than the cursed online booking services. French rail tickets are good for 60 days, so there is no problem about change of timetable.

Welcome to France.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Nice

If you buy from tgv europe and gte the tickets delivered to your house , it might just save you time if plane etc arrives on time but your tickets will be printed with a specific train time

If you buy the ticket online from the sncf site you are locked into a particular train and you need to be at a station with a yellow ticket machine or equipped for ticket withdrawal - so you would need to go to Nice ville station not Nice st augustin.

IMO you would not save any time by buying tickets in advance and you may well have to buy new tickets or pay an exchange fee similar to the original purchase price if you missed the train.

Additionally if your aim is speed in getting to St Raphael, you would be better taking bus 99 to Nice ville station and taking the next train whether it is a TER local PACA train or TGV/reserved seating [a bit more expensive] . Fewer trains stop at Nice st augustin

BTW there are a few express buses per day to St Raphael -if the timings suit that would be your least hassle option

times from airport

9.00 - 12.30 - 15.45 - 19.30

15 euros single

timetable here

…aeroport.fr/var/anca/storage/original/appli…

Britain
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Nice

Thank you for your replies. I think we will be best waiting til we get there to buy the tickets. Selkie, thanks for the info on the express bus, that looks like a much simpler option!!

4. Re: Trains from Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2012, 05:19