We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most logical way to explore the riviera?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Most logical way to explore the riviera?

I'm planning a trip to the French Riviera. The basic set up is:

-fly into Nice

-stay in Nice for 2 days

-travel to Monaco for 3 days for an event

-return to Nice for 2 days

-fly out of Nice

My time in Monaco is accounted for but I'm trying to figure out the best way to explore the Riviera on the front and back ends of the trip. I'm thinking about visiting Cannes, St. Trop, Cap and Villefranche (just day trips to each town). Is this logical/feasible? I'm just in the beginning phases of planning so I'm trying to figure out how to set this up before I start looking for more detailed itinerary info. Thanks!!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

Hi there

I'll bump this as Troggs has a great post on the area. Hopefully she'll respond.

Kind Regards

Merran

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

Thanks Merran!

St. Tropez is in another part of the Cote d'Azur from Nice and Monte Carlo, and while it's possible to get there by train, bus and/or ferry, it's always sounded complicated and time consuming to me. You can do a day trip by boat from Nice, and that's what I would recommend. FYI, the trip takes you to the village/town of St. Tropez, and the beaches are several miles away.

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

If you want directions via the train, let the experts know, but I really think it's going to take more time than you have on this trip.

The resorts and mountain towns in the Cote D'Azur are connected by an efficient rail and bus network, and here is how I get from the train stations and bus stops to the places I want to visit in the town:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

The hard part is deciding what trips you have time for! Have a great trip!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

If yuu are thinking of using public transport the local train network very conveniently connects Nice with all the major coastal tourist spots- Nice, Cannes, Villefranche, Monaco, Antibes etc. Trains will get you to all these places in half hour or less and are cheap and regular. As troggs says St Tropez is not on this network and is a pain to get to even by car in summer - the boat trip, apart from being a great scenic cruise, ise will be your best option.

Most tourists will also want to see the hill towns of St Paul de Vence and/or Eze Village - you can easily get a bus to either from Nice ( and Monaco in the case of Eze).

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

Agree with all above.

If you really want to go to St Tropez it will take up a nearly whole day of your short itinerary. Also the day excursion by boat only runs from June to September.

IMO there is more than enough to occupy you closer to your chosen bases

Whatever you decide -Enjoy

russia
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

I will recommend the following: fly to Nice and go to Cannes for 2 days. It will include Cannes itself, Lerin Islands, Antibes or probably St Tropez but personslly I do not think it is worth the visit.

And for the last days stay in Nice and see Villefranche or Eze if it is not in your Monaco part.

Normally it is better to stay in one hotel for the whole trip and it is possible to travel to Cannes etc from Nice, but if you anyway have to change the hotels, why not enjoy the evenings in Nice and Cannes

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

If you don't mind changing hotels, consider v-a-pros Nice/Cannes suggestion, but also Villefranche and the Hotel Welcome. We have started spending a few nights there before traveling onto to Cannes for a convention. It's a nice contrast to the environs you find in Nice and Cannes, and you can still explore the western part of the Cote d'Azur from its convenient rail station:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187246-d219899…

We really don't mind moving around. Instead of packing "his" and "hers" bags, we pack separately for each stop with a small bag for our toiletries.

Ed, I really have enjoyed Antibes, but have been frustrated finding lodging around the old town part of the city. It would be lovely if you might start a list of locations that might work, perhaps linking them to the TA reviews section. It's hard to tell from reading through the reviews if a location is close to the older part of town and beach. I just haven't seen much discussion about this on TA.

7. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 20:56
Edited: 15 February 2012, 20:56
8. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 February 2012, 20:57
Edited: 15 February 2012, 20:57
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

when are you vuisiiting?

Is Cap , cap ferrat?

if so Cap ferrat and villefranche are easy bus rides from Nice at one euro

St tropez- is awkward due to its location and lack of train station but a day triip is do-able in winter/spring autumn by train and bus [bus or car not recommended in summer due to heavy traffic] outside winter by train and ferry or summer by boat trip

However the famous beaches in st tropez are a long way from the town itself -which is pleasant enough but some folk find it disappointing , esp out of season when it is very obviously out of season

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most logical way to explore the riviera?

Thank you very much for your replies! I will probably forgo St. Tropez since it's not as easy to get to. For budgeting reasons, I was planning to stay in Nice and explore from there since there are budget hotels in convenient locations (My time in Monaco will be VERY expensive so I'm trying to cut corners a bit in Nice). V-A-Pros and Troggs both suggested staying in Cannes and I will look into it if I can find a hotel rate comparable to what I'm booked for now (under 80 euros) in Nice. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Now, finding decent airfare to Nice or to Paris + train to Nice is gonna be tough. . .