We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

Austin, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

I have an ambitious thought to hit as many of the French Riviera towns as we can into one day. We are on a cruise that docks in Cannes for 10 hours. I plan to use trains to get around. My thought is to go straight to Monaco, then to Nice, Antibes and Cannes. I know I will only have 1-2 hours per town and just want to walk around and see the highlights. We would not be planning to see any museums. I can always slow down and skip the last few towns if it looks like I won't get them all in and just take the train back to Cannes to get back on the cruise ship. Do you think it is possible? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

You can - at your own risk of missing the boat!

Go to the station in Cannes ( 15 mins walk from Port) buy a 14 euro Pass Isabelle one day go-anywhere rail ticket then travel to Monaco - approx 1 hour 10 minutes journey. Then work your way back via Villefranche, Nice,and Antibes.

Trains are about every half hour but allow time for delays and cancellations.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

Assuming you manage to get a place on the first tender off your ship, allow 15 mins to Cannes rail station, queue to buy Pass Isabelle if you haven't already purchased on line, perhaps wait half an hour for the next train, then 1 hour rail journey to Monaco - [8 hours remaining]

1.5 hours in Monaco, back on train to Nice- allow 1 hour

Nice rail station to Nice old town, allow 30 mins

[5 hours remaining]

1.5 hours in Nice old town , then half an hour to get back to station

[3 hours remaining]

Train to Antibes 30 mins + 15 mins walk to old town

[2.25 hours left]

45 mins in Antibes old town

15 mins walk back to rail station

[1.25 hours left]

Train to Cannes- 30 mins ,

15 mins walk back to port, jump on last tender

[ time left 30 mins or 0 if train delays or cancellations]

I've allowed a bit of extra time for trains assuming you have a valid rail timetable but won't get to the station and be board one immediately. If there are significant delays or cancellations the day of your visit allowances are far too conservative

<<Do you think it is possible?>>

Possible yes, enjoyable IMO er no

<< Am I setting myself up for failure?>>

You may make it back to your ship in time, but will have failed to appreciate the essence of the Riviera - no time to enjoy exploring anywhere properly, for a relaxed drink at a pavement cafe never mind a meal, but if it's your idea of sightseeing, go for it :).

Hope this helps

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

Trains are more reliable then they were but there is still the ocasional no show. I spend time in the main cruise port, Villefranche, and more than once have met people who missed the boat.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,895 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

But, of course, LondonBob, where better place to be stranded than in Villefranche !

Eed

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

My advice: skip Monaco so you have time in the more interesting palces you mention.

6. Re: French Riviera in One Day - Is it possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 23:16