We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best areas to swim south of France

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
best areas to swim south of France

Hi

my husband and i are going to spend couple of weeks in the south of France at the beginning of September. We love to swim and were wondering what are some of the most enjoyable swimming location, ie. warm, calm and clear water, preferably not too busy.

thanks

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
125 reviews
from US$104.80*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
402 reviews
from US$133.90*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
454 reviews
from US$98.90*
US$109.90
UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best areas to swim south of France

The start of september is still more or less peak holiday season so the area will be busy. The most beautiful place for swimming I have found in france is the plage d'argent on Porquerolles.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
7,258 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best areas to swim south of France

Gigaro near La-Croix-Valmer is pleasant

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best areas to swim south of France

Anywhere around the Cap d' Antibes.

Ed;

Finland
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best areas to swim south of France

Plage d Estagnol is not bad.

www.bormeslesmimosas.com/mer/lesplages.htm

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best areas to swim south of France

If you're looking for wide sandy beaches with nature around, the Var has more to offer. I would highly recommend the Gigaro beach with the Cap Lardier cape right next door. Waters are clear and the site around the cape is beautiful.

I love the Hyères islands for hiking and for swimming - in front of Hyères, Var.

St Tropez's Pampelonne beach is great outside of peak summer season.

Moving to the East toward Cannes, Boulouris has some nice smaller beaches such as that at Camp Long, as does Agay. Cannes and Antibes are good too.

Since you have a couple of weeks, you can taste quite a few of them. Come back and let us know which was your favorite one!

Enjoy,

AzurAlive.com

New York, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best areas to swim south of France

I loved Cap D'Ail for the majesty of the scenery while you are swimming. It was a difficult walk up and down to the beach though.

Nice was also lovely. The water was much clearer and prettier than I had expected, and you can swim out as far as your body will take you!

Antibes has a much different vibe and was quite crowded when I was there last September, but the color of the water is gorgeous. It was also a little rougher than the other beaches I visited.

From those three, I have a hard time picking my favorite as each is so different and special in its own way. Villefranche's beach comes in a close 3rd with pretty little fish. It is wide and expansive. Its water was a little cooler than the other beaches.

I also visited the beaches at Cannes, Beaulieu and Paloma Beach in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. The water at Paloma was stunning, but I did not enjoy the beach part finding it very crowded. Cannes and Beaulieu, I felt were not "must visits" but there were very nice as well.

Overall, I would say visit as many as you can. At the end of your vacation, you will have 5 "favorites."

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best areas to swim south of France

For eastern Riviera beaches, I would suggest Cannes, Isle Ste Marguerite (island in bay off Cannes reached by ferry ), Golfe Juan, and Cap d'Antibes.

Also if you travel along the coast road between Cannes and St raphael there are several inviting bays en route

By the beginning of Septmeber the worst of the crowds will have disappeared.

Enjoy and do let us know your favourites

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,915 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best areas to swim south of France

Quite an interesting online guide to south of france beaches here .....

plagesmed.fr/villes/alpes-maritimes/saint-je…

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best areas to swim south of France

Interesting site Ed.

Seems focused on the Var and a property agency in St Tropez

Not sure how comprehensive the guide is though for the eastern Riviera.

e.g. Blue Flag info is incomplete /incorrect

New York, NY
Level Contributor
323 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best areas to swim south of France

i've been on the hunt for a list of private beaches (with chairs and umbrellas) in the Var, and this website that Ed posted is the best i've seen! many thanks!

Ed, if you have any specific recommendations on great private beaches within a 45 minute drive from Hyeres, i would love to hear them... we're going to be there the second half of August for just a couple of weeks, and i would rather not waste time looking for good beaches and ending up being disappointed and having to go elsewhere...