We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in the south of France

Lilburn, GA
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go in the south of France

I'm turning 50 next summer and am looking for a place in the south of France, Cote d'azur, to spend with my husband and 18 year old daughter. Love the combination of beach and city. We will not have a car and would like to be able to access Monaco and perhaps points east from there by public transport. I've seen some pictures of rocky beaches...would prefer sandy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in the south of France

Nice is by far the most interesting location but beach is made up of flat stones. Antibes is pleasant but much smaller and has a sandy beach. We like the combination of Villefranche, sandy-ish beach and spectacular location and Nice which is only 10 mins by bus or train. Do you have a special reason for going to Monaco, a very ugly place with densely crowded tower blocks but easy to access by train from anywhere between dull as ditch water Cannes and rather more interesting Menton? Apart from Menton almost everything east of Monaco is in Italy.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,173 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in the south of France

We liked Monaco for a day trip, but much preferred Nice. If you're going to be spending a lot of time at the beach, then I believe Cannes would be a better choice.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in the south of France

Would definitely suggest Nice as a base, except the beach is pebbled not sandy. Cannes has a sandy beach but nowhere near the character - for me - or ease of public transport that Nice has.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in the south of France

As a rule of thumb you will only find sand west of Nice, where the burgers of Antibes, Juan les Pins and Cannes have thoughfully provided it for tourists with tender soles. The almost tideless Med is very slow at bteaking down the rocks that come down the rivers from the Alps.

Ed

5. Re: Where to go in the south of France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:18