We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Month (July) Where to Stay

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
4 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
One Month (July) Where to Stay

We are planning to rent an apartment for the month of July. We have never been to the area and want to both look around and lounge around. We like to walk, eat, go to beach, maybe some scuba diving. We have one child (10 y.o.) What area should be stay in?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

All of the resorts are wonderful, so you won't go wrong with whichever destination you choose. They are connected by a very good rail and bus system, so staying in one location doesn't mean you will miss out on the others.

If we had a month, I think we would stay in Villefranche sur Mer. Nice is likely to the choice for others on this forum, but for an extended stay, we would like the "village" appeal of VFSM. The beach in VFSM is sandy while others in the region are "pebbly," so depending upon your preference, "sandy" or "pebbly" beach may be something you want to consider. Antibes/Cap d'Antibes and Beaulieu sur Mer/Cap Ferrat areas would also be on our list and their beaches are sandy. My daughter joined us on our trip this year, and the Beaulieu sur Mer/Cap Ferrat area was her favorite. Villefranche, Beaulieu and Cap Ferrat are within walking distance of each other, and for a month's stay, this is the area we would consider. From what I've seen in this part of the Riviera, Villefranche is where you'll find the most restaurants -although it's not on overload - and others will have to tell you about dining and the beach in Cap Ferrat. Time did not allow us much exploration on this peninsula, but we saw enough that we're going back! Cannes is also a favorite, and IMO, it has the best and "sandiest" beach and is the best place to dine with a view of the water. Restaurants are everywhere in Cannes, and I think it's the best resort for alfresco dining in an ocean setting. You might also like this place in Theoule sur Mer that is east of Cannes.

http://www.lagalere.com/index.html

I think you'd need a car here, but the pool and what I think looks like a community feel might work for you, especially with a ten year old. Another contributor has recommend it, but I don't know anything about restaurants in the area.

See what others have to say! You have lots of good choices, and you'll know what works for you. For any place you consider, do a Google Maps "Walking Directions" search from the apartment's address to "Gare and the name of the town." Public transportation is excellent in this part of France, and most of us recommend it as the preferred way to get around. Traffic and parking can be brutal in the Cote d'Azur, especially during the summer, and I would suggest renting a car only when you know you're going to need it. Some apartments, however, come with parking spaces, and if you are expecting to keep a car during your stay, a parking space is something that would be on my search list.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 16:23
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

Please do not wait to make arrangements regarding your rental. July and August are High Season in both the Cote d'Azur and Provence, which sits just to the West. Places to stay are in high demand, and even now, you may have some difficulty in reserving a place high on your list of desirable rentals.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,444 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

Give some thought to basing yourselves in Nice, where there's a great variety of lodgings and attractions to visit. Nice is also a good transport hub, as well as having excellent bus and tram service within the city itself.

As AlpillesGal advises, get a booking ASAP.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

Also look at Roquebrune and Menton; you may find better prices there. Their beaches are pebbly, pretty much, except for the sandy beach in Menton Garavan. But I prefer Menton's pebbly beaches -- I just wear those beach sandals that strap on with velcro fasteners; they are comfy and you can swim in them and easily rinse them clean too.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

You're not going to find Georgia or Carolina beaches in the Cote d'Azur, but you can do that at home. (I'm a Carolina girl!) For something different, you might want to consider one of the pebble beaches. The sound of the currents passing over the stones in Nice is something you won't experience at home and as tennisjazz says, a pair of sandals and some chairs completes the experience. The truth is that the sand on many of the Cote d'Azur beaches seems to be brought in for its aesthetic. Sandy beaches aren't necessarily a natural occurrence in this region, but I like them. There may be some issues with currents in Nice, but let the experts advise you on this.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

We sold in Nice and bought in Villefranche mainly because in Villefranche we could have peace and quiet, great walks, good swimming and a half decent beach but still be a 10 minute, one euro bus ride from the vitality of Nice Old Town. With its steeply shelving, stony beach and strong currents Nice is for strong swimmers and sun bathers.

Atlanta, Ga
Level Contributor
4 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

Thanks everyone. Does anyone have an opinion about Cassis?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,126 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

Cassis is too small and isolated to spend a month in. Look further east into the heart of the Cote d'Azur.

9. Re: One Month (July) Where to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:16