We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for stay

New York
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Base for stay

I will be spending 3 days in the Riviera after driving from Cassis. Where would be a good base for a hotel? I will be visiting Cagnes sur Mer, VIllefranche, Beaulieu, Eze, St Paul, Vence, Tourettes sur Loup, La Turbie. I was thinking Haut de Cagnes may work?

Thank you

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for stay

If you are driving I'd avoid Nice itself as parking and traffic are big issues but you could stay in Vence itself, which is a lovely base and pretty well placed for all the places you'd like to see (20-30 mins from Cagnes-sur-Mer, 10-15 from St-Paul, 5 mins drive to Tourrettes-sur-Loup and Eze and Villefranche not too bad either if you avoid Nice and take the A8)

New York
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for stay

Thank you......I suppose St Paul also is a good base, the two villages are pretty close and it seems there are more hotel choices there.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,438 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for stay

St. Paul is fine. Lots of nice places are just outside of St. Paul. Take a look at Hotel Hameau.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for stay

Traffic west of Nice is much worse than on the eastern side. Stay on the coast and you can use the train and forget about traffic and parking problems.

New York
Level Contributor
225 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base for stay

Bob, where would you advise staying on the coast (what town)? I thought it may be easier with a car to drive to all the places I want to see.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,138 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base for stay

Have a look at Biot, which is down near the coast.

I have to disagree that St-Paul is a good place to stay. It's inundated with tourists, and evening dining options are limited. Also, parking is a problem. We love Le Hameau, but really the drive from the St-Paul area down to the coast can be a pain.

Haut de Cagnes also makes for access and parking problems. You can waste a lot of time just getting up to the old town and back down again.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base for stay

We have a property in Villefranche, which is ten minutes from Nice by bus or train but relatively small and unspoilt. Easy to get to Eze and Beaulieu, actually a very nice walk of 40 minutes or so to the latter. Don't miss the seaside path to St Jean Cap Ferrat. Cagnes sur Mer is 30 minutes by train. As car would be useful to get to La Turbie and you could continue to Peille and Peillon.

Places west of Nice are more difficult. Going to Vence and St Paul I would be inclined to let the bus driver take the strain.

When our flat is rented out I stay in the Hotel Darse, which overlooks the marina and has great views across the bay. Many people like the Welcome but I think it is over priced for what it offers.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,134 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Base for stay

Nearly anywhere that is a mediaeval village by its very nature poses some kind of access restiction or parking problem. That is Haut de Cagnes, Tourette sur Loup , La Turbie, St Paul, Biot, Eze etc . As places to sta yand eat you will also be somewhat limited to a couple of expensive hotels and restaurants. Vence is undoubtedly the best choice of the inland places you mention.

On the coast i think Villefranche ( east of Nice) and Antibes ( west) offfer by far the best options - best of both worlds with a 'village' type atmosphere and more choice. Both are on the coastal rail line and you can take regular commuter style trains.

Ed

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base for stay

I wouldn't recommend St-Paul as a base to stay, no - it is tourist central and parking is a nightmare, which is why I suggested the larger and more pleasant (in my opinion) Vence.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 13:15
10. Re: Base for stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:16