We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel recommendation

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hotel recommendation

My husband and I are going to a conference in MOnte Carlo but we are going one day early. We want to stay in the south of france one night so we can spend a couple of days (we're arriving early morning so we'll have 2 full days) in that area before heading to monte carlo to the conference. Once we are at the conference we probably won't leave that area. We want a luxury hotel and close to shopping and things to do in that area. Any suggestions? Money is not an option we just want to splurge and get a great experience. Thanks for any input

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel recommendation

Why not stay in Nice? There's a great deal to see and do in that beautiful city and any number of luxury hotels to consider.

Have a look at the boutique hotel La Pérouse's deluxe rooms with terrace for starters. Those are large and pretty, with views out across the Mediterranean. A pool, too,surrounded by lemon trees, and a small roof-top gym on a terrace with panaromic views. The feel of the place is Provençal rather than 21st-century European modern (which I loathe). Breakfast on your room's terrace is a special treat, but meals are also served by the pool.

The hotel sits at the far end of the Promenade des Anglais just as the road swings around to the port. There are about 5 levels, connected by 2 elevators. Both Dufy and Matisse lived and painted here, and from one elevator landing you can look out at the views they painted.

The La Pérouse is about a 5-minute walk from the Vieux Nice open-air market and the area filled with sights and good restaurants.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel recommendation

thank you for that idea. I am looking into other places in the area. what about antibes? or cannes? or st. tropez?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel recommendation

Take a pass on St Tropez for sure. Real hassle to get to. I would eliminate Cannes as well. Antibes is a terrific place, but if you only have one day...NIce is the way to go.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel recommendation

Why eliminate Cannes? Tracala wants to shop, and in Cannes, you can shop high end designer shops along Le Croisette and lovely boutiques and international stores on Rue d'Antibes. A boat to Iles des Lerins on either of these tours is a nice way to spend an afternoon:

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

abbayedelerins.com/cannesilesdelerins/…

I am a admitted "cafe and bistro tourist," and IMO, Cannes is the best place to enjoy dining with a view of the water. Restaurants - wonderful restaurants - are everywhere, along Le Croisette, surrounding the harbor, up the hill to Cannes' old town, and on the beach (look for the stairways to these restaurants marked by flags on the walk along the seaside.) Datthecoast, have you ever actually stayed Cannes? Cannes is a wonderful place for dawdling in the morning, shopping during the day, enjoying a leisurely lunch and into the night, lingering over a glass (actually, a bottle) of Provence rose. Tracala, see if it works for you.

On several of our trips, we have stayed at Le Martinez in Cannes:

http://www.hotel-martinez.com/en/?

tripadvisor.fr/Hotel_Review-g187221-d219369-…

We've had rooms towards the back and rooms facing the ocean, and whichever way, I've always had a good experience at Le Martinez. For your trip, I'm thinking you are going to want one of the rooms facing the coastline. Our rooms have always been a good size, though some are larger than others, our bathrooms have been lovely and updated, and our rooms have always been bright. For a splurge, Le Martinez's La Palme d'Or is one of the world's most famous restaurants, and for a light lunch, try 72 Le Coisette for a wonderful salad. I'm always going back for their Salade Niciose or Seafood Salad:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187221-d1…

This corner restaurant outside Le Martinez is a great place to people watch in the mornings over coffee and in the evenings, over cocktails and wine! If you stay at Le Martinez, you will be part of the comings and goings from this famous hotel, but watching it from 72 Le Croisette is even more fun!

For the past two years, we have started our trip by staying in Villefranche for a few nights at the Hotel Welcome, but in VF, I would describe the hotels as "boutique" ...wonderfully "boutique," but not necessarily "luxury." Where Cannes is "glitz and glamour," the towns in this part of the Cote d'Azur are a little more "village." For luxury in this part of the coastline, look at the Reserve or the Royal Riviera in Beaulieu sur Mer:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187218-d195572…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187218-d114550…

These locations aren't going be so much about shopping and maybe, restaurants outside the resort, but Villefranche and Cap Ferrat will be within walking distance. There are some lovely restaurants facing the harbor in VF and I'm still learning about CF, so what others might have to say. Moving the image around, look at this map to get an idea about how BSM/VF/CF fit together:

villefranche-sur-mer.org/pages/plan/planvill…

...and here is how my daughter I walked from the VF harbor to the 83 bus stop for a trip to Eze Village. Depending upon where you start out, you can put things together as they work for you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k5935…

And don't stay holed up in Monte Carlo while you husband attends his meetings. This is not my favorite city along the coast, and there are so many wonderful places you can visit during the day. I travel with my husband who attends a convention in Cannes, and during the day I'm on my own...and loving it (not that I'm without him, but loving the region!).* (See the note below.)

Here's how I get around on the region's wonderful public transit and how I get from the train stations and bus stops to the parts of the towns I want to visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

That last part has sometimes been tricky, and you can figure out how to make things work from Monte Carlo. Basically, take a train to visit the coastal resorts, and from MC, you can l travel like I do to Eze and St Paul de Vence: a train to the nearest station and a bus from there. only from MC, you do this in the other direction as I do from Cannes, but there is one exception, you can take a bus from MC to Eze Village. Don't miss out on seeing more of this wonderful region because your husband is in meetings.

These maps might be helpful while you are in Monte Carlo. Monte Carlo is on a steep incline with windy roads, lots of concrete and high buildings. The first is of the local bus routes and the second shows the escalators, tunnels and lifts that help to move people through the inclines. Knowing how to use these "assceneurs" will make your time better in MC:

monaco-montecarlo.com/documentation/Brochure…

http://www.cam.mc/plan-reseau.php

Don't eliminate Cannes and consider VF, BSM, Nice and Antibes...they're all wonderful.

* Note: I'm perfectly comfortable traveling the region on my own, but as it is throughout Europe, watch for the pickpockets. They aren't harmful, but they like to bring home other people's money and "stuff." Leave your designer handbag in your hotel and carry a practical cross body with a sturdy strap and preferably one with a secured flap the covers zippered or velcroed compartments. This is also important in Monte Carlo. These guys are good...

Edited: 22 February 2013, 21:32
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel recommendation

Nice has all the good shopping anyone could want, along with many other attractions.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel recommendation

True, and another reason to keep Nice on the list.

Tracala, I made a mistake by not recognizing "My husband and I are going to a conference in MOnte Carlo." I still hope you can enjoy more of the region, and I hope my assumption didn't offend you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel recommendation

troggs....I used to LIVE in Cannes.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel recommendation

datthecoast, then, why are you so negative? As with anywhere along the coast, there's "Cannes" and there's "Cannes," and the Le Croisette/harbor area is a lovely place to vacation and serve as a base for a trip. You can recommend other places without discounting another, and "I prefer..." might be better than "don't." There's no right or wrong way to plan a trip, and it's about the locations that work for the traveler.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel recommendation

troggs.....I'm not negative. Nowhere in my posts did I say "don't", so please do not say that I did.. My views as a former resident are just different from yours as a tourist. If you took the time to read the Original Post...The OP said that they had an extremely short period of time (2 days and one night) and a base further east than Cannes makes more sense and Nice is a good base. There is simply more to see and do.

Re-read your own post. Everything that YOU suggested, save Antibes and a trip to Isle Lerins is east of Nice. Villefranche, Beaulieu, Eze, Cap Ferrat etc. So with only two short days, in my view, Nice is the better base.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel recommendation

wow, thank you, what a GREAT recommendation. So, we've been to MOnte Carlo and it's not my fave and I will venture out. BUT.... we are going a day early and really really want to stay somewhere special. I've been to Cannes and it's great shopping but mostly designer shop, (which I love btw) but can do that anywhere really. Where is good for great french or european boutiques? and walking around, eating cafe, hanging out in the hotel or resort? I really like nice hotels and don't mind paying. We're not stuffy folks, no suit and tie bs, but like elegant, classy, trendy, fun, stylish, good people watching, etc. I've researched antibes, cap ferrat, st tropez, cannes and nice. OYYYYY. so many things to choose from. Please help some more. thanks