We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

May husband and I (early 30s) will be traveling to France the last week in August and first week of September to end at a wedding in Vallery (outside of Paris). We do not plan on renting a car as it seems like traffic is really bad that time of year. We are interested in getting a feel for the region. We love to just walk around and explore. I have come up with the below itinerary, but am not sure if I'm being too ambitious. We are pretty active and used to walking as we live in Manhattan, but I also do not want to be overly rushed and not be able to enjoy these beauiful places.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help in advance!

Day 1:) Tues - arrive Nice in am (base for Day 1-Day 5). Spend day recovering and explore Nice.

Day 2:) Wed - Antibes morning and Cannes afternoon/evening

Day 3:) Thurs - Vence morning and Villafranche afternoon/evening

Day 4: ) Fri - Eze in the morning and Monaco afternoon/evening

Day 5:) Sat - travel by boat to St. Tropez in the morning (stay 2 nights)

Day 6:) Sun - St. Tropez

Day 7:) Mon - travel by bus to Aix in the morning (stay 2 nights)

Day 8:) Tues - Aix, Avignon or St Remy

Day 9;) Wed - travel to Vallery for wedding (how would I get there?)

Edited: 08 April 2013, 21:15
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

Looks good. I am not a big fan of St Tropez (particularly in August), so I personally would eliminate that and spend more time in and around NIce and see Cap d'Antibes, Beaulieu sur Mer, Biot, Haut de Cagnes, St Paul de Vence, Tourettes sur Loup and maybe a boat trip out to Isle Lerins. There is so much to do and see.

Rent a car when you are leaving Nice....stay near Avignon and use the car to explore Provence. Drop the car at the Avignon train station and take the TGV to Paris (2.75 hours.)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,505 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

Whatever you do, get your hotel booked ASAP--August is very, very high season.

Plan to spend more than just one day in Nice; there's lots to see and do.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

Same as Catullus, I am a little concerned that you are still on the fence and may not have all of your hotels booked. You need to really get cracking, particularly for St. Tropez!!

Unlike dat above, I really like St. Tropez and, since you are not planning to drive, then traffic is a non-issue for you. But, I totally agree with dat (hi David!) that you should reconsider renting a car and do pick one up on your way out of Nice and toward Western Provence.

Otherwise, you did your homework and brava on that!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,178 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

Hi Anna! I like St Tropez in May and early June and after the Voiles de St Tropez....July and August are just crazy. :-)

lilb118...you need to book your accomodation IMMEDIATELY.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

Thank you all for the valuable info. I am going to start booking our hotels tonight!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

<<I am going to start booking our hotels tonight!>>

And not a minute too soon :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

I would actually combine Villefranche, Eze and Monte Carlo in one day, and would suggest that you walk from VF to Beaulieu sur Mer and catch the 83 bus to Eze Village from there. You can do this via the short 10 minute or so train from Nice. The 112 bus is direct to Monte Carlo from Eze Village, but the schedule isn't frequent or runs on Sundays. Another option from Eze Village to Monte Carlo is the 83 bus from Eze Village to the train station and either the 100 bus or train from there, whichever is the most convenient and comes first. Cannes and Antibes are a nice fit on the 200 bus, and I enjoy the scenery more on the bus than on a train when I travel this distance.

Here's how I did it the Villefranche>Beaulieu walk with my daughter (a Manhattanite!), and given the time and inclination, think about walking on to Cap Ferrat. It was my daughter's favorite day of our trip:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k5935…

If St. Tropez is on your "must do" list, do it, but also consider that Cannes/Antibes/Vence and St. Paul de Vence (that you didn't mention) are on the other side of Nice and can be combined in another one or two day trips. If this might work for you, come back for the 'how to's."

Cannes, Antibes, and as datthecoast suggests, Iles des Lerins can be a full day's itinerary, and St. Paul and Vence are connected by a direct bus route from Nice (400) The 200 bus travels from Antibes to Cannes and as I said, I enjoy it much more than the train along this short distance. Your will know what works for you.

Here are links that will help you plan your trip:

St. Tropez via boat and trips to St. Marguerite (Iles des Lerins) from Cannes or Nice:

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

Bus, enter "200" in the search box along the right margin:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

When you arrive in the Cote d'Azur, pick up the brochure "04: Mandelieu-La Napoule...Ventimiglia" and you will see how this fits together. I hesitate to provide a link from my US based computer because out links to French train sites aren't always the best, but perhaps, another contributor can provide one for your trip planning.

You might also want to private message LondonBob, a TA contributor, who has a document on how to walk from Nice to Villefranche.

How this might fit into your trip in the rest of Provence, you are in good hands AnnaRoz and Dat... Have a great trip!

Edited: 09 April 2013, 06:01
8. Re: Is my 9 day itinerary realistic for end of August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 07:16