We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Choosing Location

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Choosing Location

Hello TA'ers - I need help! I am totally overwhelmed at this point and saturated with so much trip research that I can't even think at this point. I keep going in circles. We are 2 adults and a kid who are looking to have two totally chill out days at the beach after a week in Paris and before heading onward to visit friends. I am looking for somewhere with sandy beaches where I can step out the door of my hotel and be at the beach in about a 300 meter walk. I am thinking Juan-les-Pins because I have read that it is good for kids, has sandy beaches and seems to have a few hotels in our price range. We also like markets, food and outdoor dining. Spouse is pushing for Nice, but I feel that is too busy and cityish. Of course, I've never been here before and that is the problem: trying to decide what you would prefer when you're unfamiliar with your choices! To complicate things, we'll be there during the "no trains running" weekend in mid June and although we'll have a car, I am wondering if the lack of trains will cause major traffic jams and how that could affect our trip. All advice appreciated. Thank you very much.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Choosing Location

Juan les Pins would be an excellent choice. Nice is terrific but the beach is pebbly.

Because you have a car, I am going to recommend this place in Cap d'Antibes....just a few kms to Juan les PIns.. While we normally rent a villa when we are on the Cote d'Azur, we have stayed at this hotel for shorter visits. It's a gorgeous spot and a short walk to a great beach.

http://www.hotelbeausite.net/index_uk.html

Edited: 24 April 2013, 22:11
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Choosing Location

The no-train weekend will almost certainly cause massive traffic jams west of Nice because this area gets heavily congested anyway -esp from villeneuve loubet to antibes- think of the trails of cars in zombie movies and you probbaly won't go far wrong if pervious track work and strikes are anything to go by

East of Nice has less issues with heavy traffic generally, so i woudl expect times to be a bit longer than usual but not awful

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Choosing Location

The following aparthotel is overlooking the beach in Juan Les Pins:

…azur.fr/page_en_1.html

They can also organise car parking.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Choosing Location

Juan les Pins is a very good sandy beach choice. You can also walk to its twin town of Antibes in around 25 minutes where there is a further choice of beaches, more than 50 restaurants and a very atmospheric Old Town. Local bus no.1 does the same job in about 10 minutes. Parking is generally a problem in JLP irrespective of 'no trains'.

Ed

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Choosing Location

Appreciate the info. LOL re: the mental image of the backed up trail of cars in zombie movies! Yikes. Well, I booked Juan les Pins anyway and hope for the best. We'll park in the hotel parking and leave the car there for the two days. I do have one more question: I read that there is a little tourist train that runs between Juan les Pins and Antibes. If the scnf trains are not running, will this little train be running? I am thinking maybe it runs on a different set of tracks from the big trains?

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Choosing Location

The tourist train runs on the road-its the sort of little train that you get in theme parks etc

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Choosing Location

The petit train ticket is a return ticket. It gives you a tour of the old town in Antibes and drops you there. Your drop off point is the the pick up point for your return. You can take any train back you wish. I have taken this train many times as my son loves it.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Choosing Location

The little train sounds great. Appreciate the info!

9. Re: Help with Choosing Location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:16