We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do?

Bfd
1 post
Save Topic
What to do?

Hello, My Family and I are going to Nice for 1 week between 25/07 - 31/07. We are planning on going to three places: Nice, Monte Carlo and Cannes, we will be staying in Nice throughout, and here is how we are thinking of doing it:

Day 1 - Arrive in Nice, Do a bit of site seeing and settle in.

Day 2 - Do all the site seeing, activities, beach and other stuff.

Day 3 - Take a bus to Monaco and spend a day there

Day 4 - Take a bus to Cannes and spend the day there

Day 5 - Go back to Monaco for a day.

Day 6 - We don't know yet, any ideas?

Day 7 - Stay in Nice ready for a late flight back home.

That's what we're thinking of doing but I have a few questions to ask

What should/shouldn't do in Nice Cannes and Monte Carlo?

What do you recommend doing?

What bus do I take to Monaco from Nice?

What Bus do I take to Cannes from Nice?

Are there any travel passes for Buses, Trains?

What to wear?

Is this all do-able and should I do it in that order?

Any other information about Nice, Monaco and Cannes please

Thanks in Advance

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do?

Have you done any reading about your destinations; your plan looks somewhat vague. There are wonderful towns, several beaches and many historic,cultural palcesand museums inand near Nice, Cannes, Monaco. (e.g.: Eze, Roquebourne, Antibes, st Paul de Vence,VilleFrance, Chagall Museum, Picasso Museum etc,etc). Many are accessible by bus/trains. Personally one day in Monaco is more than enough unless you are both wealthy and a jet-setter. It's hard to respond to your question when it's not apparent what you include/mean by "do the site-seeing" "spend the day" - Do you have any specifics about what you want to see/do?

jhgrady

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do?

You can see all that Monaco has to offer in 3 or 4 hours. It is tiny. 2 days there is WAY too much.

Make sure you spend some time in Antibes...... a half a day at least.

Combine Eze village with your trip to Monaco.

You REALLY need a guide book. The MIchelin Green Guide to the Cote d'Azur is excellent. Doesn't seem like you have done any research on your destination.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 21:02
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do?

Here are my thoughts and know that you can order the routes however you might like:

1) A full day in Monte Carlo is sometimes too long, and you could add Eze Village (82 bus direct from Nice) and travel from the village to Monte Carlo (the 112 bus from the village or if that schedule doesn't work for you, take the 83 bus to the Eze train station and the 100 from the stop outside the station, or take a train). A sunset dinner or cocktails in Villefranche could be added to this trip on your way back from Monte Carlo, at least that would be my preference, but there would also be a way to start your morning in Villefranche, walk to the 83 bus stop in Beaulieu sur Mer, take that bus to Eze, and then a bus to Monte Carlo. all this info in itself is overwhelming, so come back if you want more detail!

2) I'd include Antibes in your day trip to Cannes and consider a boat trip to the Iles des Lerins off the Cannes coast. Here are links to the two islands and they are on separate routes:

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

abbayedelerins.com/cannesilesdelerins/…

Travel between Antibes and Cannes is easy on the 100 bus, and to end your day, I would suggest sunset in a water or beach level restaurant in Cannes. You will want to travel by train between Nice and Cannes or Antibes, but bus between Antibes and Cannes. The 200 bus travels the coastal route, but it's laboriously slow.

3) For your "whatever" day, consider St. Paul de Vence (and the Foundation Meaght), and Vence (old town and the Matisse Chapel). If you have the time, explore Haute des Cagnes. From Nice, the 400 bus is direct to St. Paul and Vence. In St. Paul, get off at the post office stop where you can walk in opposite directions to St. Paul or the Foundation Maeght, and get on the same 400 bus in the same direction as you came, heading uphill to Vence (come back if you want walking directions to the Matisse Chapel). if you have time for Haute des Cagnes, take the 400 bus to the Cagnes sur Mer train station and walk to the Square Bourdet shuttle stop for Haute des Cagnes (44). Come back if you want those last directions.

Here is where you can view all of the bus routes I've listed (some may link you to the CG06 website). Enter the numbers in the search box along the right margin:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

To view the train route that runs along the coast, try this:

Here’s a link to the 2013 PDF, and as it won’t be live. copy and paste it into your browser:

…ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/Fiche_04_s…

Sometimes these links get kind of screwy on my US browser, so if this doesn't work, try this link and follow the following steps.

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

1) Select the “04 Mandelieu – Cannes – Nice – Ventimiglia” route from the “My Line” list and “Validate.”

2) Under “My Search Results,” select the same route and you will get to the PDF. For the route in the other direction, scroll down through the pages.

Those are my thoughts, but I'm just one traveler, so see what others have to say.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 21:07
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do?

Antibes and Cannes are nowhere near the 100 bus route- which goes between Nice and menton via Monaco

you could take bus 200 from Nice to Antibes or

cannes but it is a miserable long journey , even when the bus is not caught in a traffic jam as it does multiple times daily

If starting from Vence , you can take either bus 400 or 94 to cagnes sur mer or Nice

Monaco is very small - most folk findhalf a day is sufficient but it really depnds what you are planning

Edited: 20 June 2013, 21:14
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do?

It should have been the 200 bus...sorry for the typo.

6. Re: What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 06:19