We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyoning

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Canyoning

Yesterday I posted about aquatic hiking, but I believe this is more commonly known as canyoning. My family would like to do this during our visit 14 July through 22 July. We are staying in Vence and would like to use a professional group or company. Any recommendations or suggestions? thank you.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyoning

I'm not familiar with this topic, but I'll give you a bump and, hopefully, you will hear from someone who is.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyoning

You don't say if you have experience or the general level of fitness of everyone and how far they can walk in rough country

i am ultra cautious when it comes to the mountains and rivers [especially the rivers here] so its difficult to know what to suggest. Also i am not keen on heights so the thought of jumping /falling/sliding/abseiling off boulders into unknown depths of water and risking fractured tibias does not appeal to me in any way.

However, to minimise risks -

Make sure you have qualified guides : Brevet d'Etat escalade, Diplôme d'Etat canyon, Diplôme d'Etat escalade en milieux naturels and Diplôme d'Etat escalade are AFAIAA the qualifications needed to be properly insured for leading a canyonning party.

Check helmets harnesses and ropes etc look decent and that explanations for their use are clear. If i were a tourist, i would want a guide with perfect english so that potentially dangerous errors in communication were minimised.

The guide should check and re-check the weather -probably i would never trust anyone to do this to my satisfaction , so i would check meteo sites myself for rain and cancel if i saw any rain predictions. Too many people get caught up in flood water while canyonning for my liking - even when guides have checked the weather forecasts.

Make sure you feel entirely comfortable with the guide and are sure you will not be pushed [perhaps even literally] into doing things you don't want to do because there can be no way back

make sure you pick the right level of trip - don't pick one that is too advanced

Watch out for dehydration,heat exhaustion and hypothermia if there is a lot of water wading.

make sure you have good medical insurance.

Edited: 23 June 2013, 13:42
Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyoning

thank you troggs and selkie!

I appreciate the info to consider... I finally received a reply from a guide (Olivier Germain at www.canyon06.fr). We are thinking a half day trip at beginner level - either Level 1 or 2. His website indicates that you have the option of jumping or not and they supply wetsuits. I'm not sure of the location but will confirm with him and he appears to have the credentials that selkie mentions. I'm not a huge fan of heights either... but this looks really fun to do.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyoning

The equipment in the pictures looks pretty new, noone seems to be doing any messing around which is always a good sign IMo.

Make sure travel insurance covers you for adventure sports

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyoning

Not a sport I have any practical knowledge of - but the following site on the unique 'Clues and canyons' of the region may help. (French I'm afraid ..but plans of the locations will at least be useful)

randoxygene.org/pge/…

Ed

6. Re: Canyoning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 16:33
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,210 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyoning

If you Google <escalade canyon Alpes Maritimes 06> you will get a large number of apparently useful links.

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyoning

thanks everyone.. I did google 'canyoning near nice' and that is how I found Olivier Germain. I appreciate the input from all and especially thank you to selkie for checking out Olivier's website for me.

And to datthecoast... I realize troggs did not provide any information, but giving my post a bump is still some measure of help, for which I am grateful. My request was pretty specific, and I imagine that even experts can't answer every question in detail. So, he(she?) did the next best thing and brought it to selkie's attention.

My family and I are arriving Nice on 13 July for 10 days - we have never been to France and this will be our kids' first international adventure (besides a Disney cruise which I don't really think counts as international travel even tho we went to Mexico.) This forum has provided us with immeasurable info and advice and I just want to express my appreciation for all the time and effort all posters have provided.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyoning

Good luck for your trip! Your feedback afterwards is always important for future travellers especially for an activity that has less coverage on this forum.

Edi

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canyoning

Ditto, and have a great trip!