We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Topic
4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

My husband and I are arriving in the south of France at the end of this week. After spending planned time in Languedoc and Provence, we are footloose in the Riviera for the last 4 days, but at a loss how to organize them. We're hoping to avoid the August crowds and stay in small villages and do day trips. Can anyone recommend a good central village or does it make sense to travel without reservations? In such a short time, what are the must-sees? The big crowded places we will bypass and see at another, less crowded time of year. All ideas gratefully received.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

If you want somewhere a bit off the beaten track (well, as far as you can be in the massively busy/touristy Cote d'Azur!) perhaps try Vence or Tourrettes-sur-Loup. Both a above the coast in the beautiful mountains.

The former is a small town, but with a real feel rather than completely tourist central. It has direct buses to Nice as well. The latter is a perched village famed for artists and violets.

In August I would strongly suggest booking ahead and with just four days stay in one place. Will you have a hire car?

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

we have hired a car, so we'll be pretty flexible. Does it make sense to stop in a different village each day?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

Do you mean STAY in a separate village every day? No! The major places to visit are close enough to do as a day trip from a central location. Do not ever think about traveling without reservations--you are going to a very popular area at the height of the season.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,835 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

With a hire car my previous suggestions will definitely suit, I agree with Catullus, book ahead & say in one place

5. Re: 4 days in the Riviera--where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:18