We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keep the Car??

North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Keep the Car??

Tomorrow we are leaving for our 2 week first time vacation in France. We will be in Paris for about 6 days then taking the train to Avignon. We will rent a car and tour the towns mostly in the Luberon area. We are driving to Nice on Oct. 1st and staying for 4 nights. Since it is not "high" season I am debating whether or not to return the car in Nice or keep it to use and drive to the neighboring towns. There is parking at the hotel we are staying in. I realize it will be more costly. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks!

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keep the Car??

Why not keep it? It will give your more flexibility. If you find you don't need it after all, take it back, or leave it in the car park.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,471 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keep the Car??

Another vote to keep it. We visited in mid June, also outside of high season, and we had a car. Had free parking at the hotel and we used it for daytrips to surrounding areas. There was traffic at times, but not any worse than rush hour city driving at home.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keep the Car??

Yes I'd keep the car also.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keep the Car??

It depends where you want to go and how much it costs you in parking fees , rental , petrol etc.

I don't know anyone here with a car as public transport is so good

Edited: 19 September 2013, 23:02
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keep the Car??

>>>I don't know anyone here with a car as public transport is so good<<<

Well, there's Frank, "The Transporter" for one! LOL

I love to drive so I'm another who'd keep the car.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keep the Car??

I like having a car while on the Cote d'Azur.....but then I don't stay right on the coast when we are there. I'd have a look at what day trips you want to do outside of Nice. If you want to do the brilliant drive up the Roya Valley that mirrors the route of the Train des Merveilles or if you want to visit some of the lovely "perched" villages that are up off the coast.....having a car makes all of that easier.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
486 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keep the Car??

There is plenty to explore with a car: St. Paul de Vence, Vence, Tourrettes-Sur-Loup one day; then maybe Biot, Antibes, Cannes; perhaps a bigger loop to Entrevaux, lower Alps and gorges; lots of gorgeous villages in the hinterland of Nice: Roquebrune (view of Monte Carlo along the way and from the village), Gorbio, and the mother of all that is spectacular in the perched villages of France -Peillon. And with evenings in Nice, here are your days all taken up with beautiful drives.

The issue with keeping the car and staying within Nice proper is the pain in the rear of driving in and out of Nice every day. But, if you feel adventurous and up to it, then why not? As Moth noted above, try it for a day and see how it works out for you.

North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
195 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keep the Car??

Yes, there is plenty to explore and with that in mind I think we will keep the car. Anna-Roz, you sealed the deal! Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and opinions!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Keep the Car??

surahp......keep in mind that with a couple of exceptions, all of the destinations that have been suggested by Anna and myself are inland, off of the coast. For most first time visitors to the Cote d'Azur, they stay ON the coast to take in all of the wonderful things that are there. And staying on the coast means more traffic, more parking issues etc. But you are travelling in October, so you should be fine. All that being said, hang on to the car.

10. Re: Keep the Car??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:20