We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

We are looking to spend anywhere from 3-6 days walking inn-to-inn in the south of France in January. I know the weather can be spotty, but it is our only chance to do this and it looks like, on average, the weather is fine if you bundle up.

I've scoured the boards here and have not been able to find information from independent travelers about accommodations and luggage transport for such a walk. I know there are services that will provide pre-arranged accommodations and transport, but we were hoping to find someone who has done this on their own without the overhead costs of a service. For instance, are there particular villages we should make sure not to miss? Is it easy to pay the inns/ hotels an extra small fee to send your luggage to the next village? Are there hotels and inns that people here prefer? Please let us know your itinerary if so!

Alternatively, if you have done this and used a service that you enjoyed and trust, please pass along that name! Many thanks in advance!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

You have posed a very broad question; it would help to know where you want to begin your walk and where you plan to end it.

If you don't already have the Michelin Green Guide to the Côte d'Azur I strongly advise you to get a copy and do some research on distances and the many points of interest.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,660 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

While your project is an exemplary one I hate to be a damp squib by pointing out some practical problem especially as regards winter journeys. Just in that Alpes Maritimes alone there are around 70 unique perched villages. However the terrain rides incredibly sharply from the mild Cote d'Azur and walking in what is effectively an Alpine area is not recommended outside June/October. Snow and ice are common. Nor do most villages have what you might imagine as cosy inns altho you may secure accommodation in private houses on a long term basis. At a lower level the more accessible villages usually have high end hotels that may not be what you have in mind -a example is St Paul de Vence.

On the other hand a hiking tour supplemented by regular train servivesalong the very scenic Cote d'Azur is entirely feasible in January and chep accommodation will be readily available.

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

I suspect your best bet is to contact someone who is organising this type of holiday, for example, highpointholidays.co.uk. What little accommodation there is away from the coast largely closes down for the winter, so a place for the night can be hard to find. Unless you want to go to the high Alps cold weather is rarely a problem but there are days when the clerk of the weather seems intent on washing the Alps into the sea. I often cycle inland in the winter and meet local cyclists trussed up as if for an Arctic expedition while I am wearing shorts.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

Thanks for the responses. Ed - Your second paragraph is exactly what we want to do. We can do just a few days of hiking/walking and a few days in towns if you have any in particular you recommend.

As the above-poster mentioned, we know it is a broad question, but because we have not found any similar posts on TripAdvisor we thought we'd throw it out to the forum. We have done research and that is where the problem lies. We are interested in tons of places - Nice, Villefrance sur Mer, Eze, Antibes, Cannes...

We aren't trying to be vague, but we are genuinely stumped and overwhelmed and thought the group my have suggestions. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

Thanks for posting the places you want to visit. Unfortunately, I think that you are trying to apply a "country" walking experience into an urban environment. With the destinations that you mentioned....you likely could be walking beside busy highways.

You might want to rethink your mode of getting around or the towns / villages that you want to visit.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

I have no experience of using any service to carry luggage but for day walks you could try using the following website:

http://www.randoxygene.org/pge/cartographie/

You can also get these walks, in book form,free, from the tourist information office in Nice; although you have to ask for them.

It's in French but details a host of walks in the Alpes Maritimes region.

In January you may want to limit your walking to the Pays Cotier area.

You could also google GR 51 Balcony of the Cote d'Azur.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

If i were you, I would take trains and buses to places such as st martin vesubie, tende, casterino ands stay overnight

Walk or snow shoe or xcountry ski aroudn the area but return to a warm base and travel onwards the next day

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

You might even consider basing yourselves in the small mountain town of Sospel, from which you could take a number of walks. It's a hiking and mountain sports center that we found different from the more visited villages.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

If you want to stay along the coast, I'm with those who think it may be more practical to take a train or bus to your bases and explore from there. Here's a pretty interesting site that I've been exploing for our trip next month:

mapmywalk.com/fr/…

This is going to open to Cap Ferrat, but you can search other destinations.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inn-to-Inn Walking in Cote d'Azur

troggs- Can you explain what that link is about ?

I am really at a loss - it appears to be data transmitted from mobile phone apps by people who either don't know where they are or who are out for a run and not going anywhere near scenic or tourist sites and want to map their distance for fitness purposes

there

is

one dubious walk for cannes, none for Nice [the 4 of the 5 supposedly for Nice are way in the North of France]

The whole site is so US-centric i'm surprised the so called walks don't start with ''here be dragons'' =]

is there something else- descriptions on the walk , info or something relevant if you sign in?

Edited: 27 September 2013, 14:44