We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice and Area in mid-October?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Nice and Area in mid-October?

Our trip next fall to Spain (and France) has been delayed by about a month from September to early/mid October, approximately Oct 3 – 23, maybe even arriving as late as Oct 10th. When we were travelling in September our plan was to fly into Nice, spend 5 days there enjoying the coast, flying to Barcelona and then visiting Seville and Madrid (with some day trips to other cities/towns)

Now that we’re leaving about a month later, I’m not sure this is the best time to visit Nice as we might not get to really enjoy what Nice and the area have to offer in mid-October. I’m hoping to get some feedback from this forum. We weren't expecting a real beach vacation in September but had planned to be outdoors quite a bit, including doing some of the coastal walks near Cap d’Antibe and Cap Ferrat.

We may only get one chance to visit Nice (so many places to visit and only so many vacation days from work – lol) and I am wondering if we should save Nice for another trip? If we forgo Nice on this trip, we will definitely plan to visit on another trip, when we can travel in either in the late spring/early summer or early in September

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

i'm not sure what you massive difference you are expecting between september and october - can you give us a hint?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

I guess I was assuming that it may be similar to what we experience here at home. The 5 or 6 week difference between early September and mid October can be quite a bit with regards to temperature, precipitation etc.

I know weather is very unpredictable and accept that. But generally, does the weather go from low to mid 20’s Celsius in September to temperatures in the mid teens in October? (from light pants and t-shirt weather in September to warmer clothing and jackets in October?)

Is it generally rainier in October than in early September?

Are activities more limited, early or longer closing times because it isn't peak tourist season? Or maybe even some activities not available (we’re not expecting to be on the beach and swimming in the sea, even in September, although I've heard that sometimes that is possible)

As mentioned, visiting Nice and the area will remain on my bucket list. I’m just asking if we’d get more out of the experience by planning for it on a different trip when maybe we’d have better weather and maybe more activity.

If I've made some incorrect assumptions and the answer is that we wouldn't experience much difference if we traveled in the second week of October compared to earlier September, that would be the perfect answer!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,988 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

You can't seriously be comparing Winnipeg and Nice???

The latitude of Winnipeg is about 50 degrees.

The latitude of Nice is in the mid-thirties, so akin to Virginia or Northern California...so substantially further south than the 'Peg. And the Cote d'Azur's climate is moderated my the very temperate Mediterranean Sea.

You can absolutely swim in the ocean in September and October. The beaches are busy.

The Cote d'Azur is a very popular destination in September and October as the weather is typically still lovely but the crowds of summer are gone.

Everything that you would want to see is absolutely still open.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

Swimming is possible well into November most years. Sunbathing is possible all year round - we get 300 days of more than 5 hours sun on average. Torrential rain is possible all year round - more common in winter months but we dont' t normally get prolonged periods of rain/bad weather -it hammers down and finishes relatively quickly

There is little difference between september and october weather , except that a subsection of locals decide to dress by the calender and not by the temeprature , so will wander around sweltering in scarves , big furry boots and jackets. Everyone else is in tshirts.

It is currently midteens at night here [mid november] =though it looks like temps are about to dip over the next week , just in time for my sister visiting .

Edited: 13 November 2013, 22:14
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

Thanks to you both for the information! Decent weather and less tourists is exactly what I was hoping here.

And no - I wasn't trying to compare Winnipeg weather and Nice weather at all. I think I'd only compare Winnipeg weather if I was looking at somewhere like Sweden or Russia - lol. I was just thinking that sometimes the weather change in 5 or 6 weeks can be substantial enough to consider and was wanting to know if that was the case in Nice. You've both clarified - thanks again.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

We usually travel in October, but two years ago, the convention my husband attends was moved to September. I prefer October. The crowds are smaller, and while it's still warm, I like the slightly lower temperature in October. September was a bit hot for long walks and uphill treks in the sun, and I missed October's slower pace. I dress in layers in October, usually starting out with a light jacket or cardigan in the morning, and by afternoon, I'm in a shirt sleeves. For when it gets warm, I usually travel with pants that I can roll up "boyfriend" style. The only tour or service I've missed might be the Trans Côte d'Azur boat trip to St Tropez, but I can do without that option. I still find plenty to do. I really haven't notice a significant difference in markets and other openings or at least, nothing that I made a point of planning when I traveled in September. If you asked the question in reverse, I would probably have answered, "Too bad you had to change from October."

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

Thanks Troggs, I appreciate your perspective as well! Sounds like Nice should still be a go for us.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
392 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

We were in Nice this October (11 -27) and it was very mild: in the evenings we didn't need even a light jacket; although, I believe, in most years that would be required.

As far as the Trans Cote D'Azur ferry trip to St Tropez is concerned, they do have one special trip in October to attend the Grande Braderie.

I had thought about going this October but it coincided with the opening of the new park area in Nice on October 26.

I'm sure someone else on here will be able to tell you something about it?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,998 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

Thanks for the additional information. Although you can't guarantee weather, it sounds as though it is worth taking a chance on in October.

I should have posted what some of my research had found and what caused me to question visiting Nice in October in the first place. I did get the impression that a few weeks could make a difference and was wanting to confirm if my impression was correct:

September is the time of year when the season turns from summer into autumn.

The average temperature in Nice during this month is 20.2°C (68°F), which can reach highs of 25°C (77°F), and drop to an average minimum temperature of 17°C (63°F).

Nice sees on average 8 hours of sunshine per day during this month

Although the temperatures remain warm during this month, from September onwards they begin to drop, with less sun seen and the amount of rain expected begins to pick up.

September is the last month of the year before the wet season begins in October.

October is also the beginning of the wettest time of the year in Nice, so be prepared with an umbrella!

The average temperature in Nice during October is 16°C (61°F), which can reach highs of 21°C (70°F), and drop to an average minimum temperature of 14°C (57°F).

Nice sees on average 6 hours of sunshine per day during this month

Edited: 14 November 2013, 17:40
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice and Area in mid-October?

Autumn is very late in the year here and not september - unless you count the first drop of leaves by the plane trees as the beginning of the process of autumn which lasts till the end of nov beginning of december minimum . If this is the criteria used, you could say that autumn starts in mid august which is ludicrous.

It is not properly autumn at the moment, at least by northern european standards . I guess it depends on the definitions

The wettest time of the year isn't particuallry wet in terms of number of wet days - it is wet in terms of the rain being torrential storms/quantity of rain in the short period

as mentioned earlier , we get heavy rain storms all year round - we don't normally get a prolonged period of rain in winter - we get the odd couple of days. It can and often does rain more frequently in summer when we get thunderstroms due to the heat [though most often the rain falls overnight.]

Edited: 14 November 2013, 18:18