We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

Hi,

Myself, my husband and our busy 2 year old are thinking of spending 14 days in the Cote d'Azur. We are thinking of maybe ringing in the New Year there. We would like to explore the Cote d'Azur while we are there. Where would be a good place to base ourselves? We would also like to stay in an apartment that is attached to a hotel, if possible, so our son could have a separate bedroom. Our little boy is very active, so a location where there would be lots to do for his age group would be preferable.

All suggestions welcome!

A.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
126 reviews
from US$103.90*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
631 reviews
from US$98.00*
US$108.90
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
455 reviews
from US$98.00*
US$108.90
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
404 reviews
from US$132.70*
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

You will be able to find some hotels with suites, and I've applied the "family" link to the TA hotel reviews page for the Cote d'Azur:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g187216-French_Rivier…

This means that members have checked the box to designate the hotel as a good place to stay as a family, but these are not necessarily "suite" hotels. You can sort through them to determine what might work for you. The suite hotel where I've actually seen the inside of a room is Villa Estelle in Cannes:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187221-d576873…

http://www.villadestelle.com/

The rooms were very nice, and it's close to the harbor area and the pedestrian Allee de la Liberte Charles de Gaulle, a part of the city I consider family friendly. Do a Google Walking Maps search between the Villa Estelle and Coquillages Brun, a restaurant we frequent that is located on the edge of this park area. You'll see the green space and how this might work for you.

Meanwhile, children flock to playgrounds, and as it is anywhere, that's where you are likely to find playmates for your son. I found this link that describes some locations in the Cote d'Azur.

…wordpress.com/tag/…

I don't know how up to date or comprehensive this page might be, but it looked like a good place to start and I'm familiar with some of these areas. On my last trip, the park in Juan les Pins caught my eye and looked particularly nice. Juan les Pins and Antibes kind of merge into sister resorts, so these might be locations you want to consider. A Google Maps search between Antibes and Juan les Pins will help you decide how this might work for you, and you will see the green space that is the Jardin de la Pinède.

To determine a park's proximity to the accommodations you are considering, do a Google Walking Maps search from an address to the parks mentioned on this page. You might be able to get some pictures of the facilities on a Google search by locations. For the Monte Carlo > Cannes stretch along the coastline, look at Antibes, Cannes, Cannes La Bocca, Juan les Pins, Monte Carlo, Nice, and Villefranche sur Mer, but be aware that Villefranche and Monte Carlo have steep terrains and the other locations will be more stroller friendly.

Hope this gives you a good start! Cannes and Antibes/JLP are the two places where I've paid attention to play areas for children, and I'm know Nice has a lot to offer as well...I'm just not up on it. Hopefully, you will hear from other contributors with their suggestions.

Antibes
Level Contributor
9 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

Bonjour

I am the blog writer for the link posted by the other TA reader above ::) The list of playgrounds is current, and as per recommendations for areas to stay in this region Cannes, Antibes, Juan les Pins and Nice are all very family-friendly. Please do note, that many indoor children's activities will be closed or on reduced opening days over winter so do check opening times etc. However, there are regional Christmas markets (generally open around Christmas to early January) which your 2-year old will enjoy with Christmas stalls, Father Christmas, amusement rides, mini carousels. If you would like further advice, please contact me via my blog email. Best regards

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

The Nice entry is not very comprehensive , but my biggest problem with the blog post is saying ''There is also a lookout hut over the lake to view turtles'' at parc vaugrenier.

The lookouts are to see wild birds - herons grey and purple and night ,. egrets great and small. cormorants , various grebes , different ducks, king fishers, etc and local animals - eg red squirrels ,

The non-native turtles released by irresponsible people cause havoc and have to be captured [they are then released at parc phoenix at a special holding area.

Edited: 27 November 2013, 07:32
Antibes
Level Contributor
9 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

Thanks selkieNice for your comments. As a tourist, there is no information onsite at that particular lookout hut explaining that the turtles there are not native and while it is clearly a bird lookout hut we have on numerous occasions never seen herons or kingfishers - mainly ducks and cormorants. I will advise the local tourist office as perhaps better signage will assist everyone so thank you for highlighting this (I will update my blog post once I have indeed confirmed regarding the turtle population being introduced). thank you

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

There is signage at the moment and has been for years saying why the ducks should not be fed [it encourages rats who also eat birds eggs and also about the foreign turtles [tortue de floride] and not to release them.

Plus it is very easy, even for a non expert to see that the basking terrapins are the ones imported as pets and released because they get snappy and too big for tanks.

As far as the comorants and herons are concerned- look in the trees on the left hand side at the far end of the lake from sept october. There will generally be about 10-15 cormorants looking like black rags haning in the tree. They will dive for fish and splash around. The herons also favour the left hand side tree , esp from mid afternoon onwards

It is possible in spring and autumn [migration period to see flights of 5-10 herons of various kinds and there are almost always a could of grey herons fishing from a sort of hummock about half way down on the left hand side. However, you need to look carefully

the kingfishers tend to whizz past in a blue streak unless you are really patient, but they require a bit of luck and quiet

you will alos see lots of goldfinches and chaffinches at the moment. especially in the grassy areas

Plus starlings , making a huge noise , esp at night

Also , this is the time of year for migratory robins , so instead of being ultra shy like the local robins, you will see them approaching the bird hides looking fo crumbs and being quite matey

Edited: 30 November 2013, 17:42
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

could - should have been couple

7. Re: Holiday in Cote d'Azur with a toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:16