We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

Hi,

I am reaching milan on 28th december noon. From there i want to travel to nice cannes monte carlo monaco and surrounding villages and small towns. I have no idea of how to go about it. I do not want to pack and unpack becoz its jus 4nights. I am aware that each of these places arent too far far from each other. Can anyone please suggest what should be the itineary for this 4day trip.

This js the last leg of our honeymoon trip. All suggestions welcome.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

I hope I'm reading your post correctly: You are on a honeymoon trip, and from Milan, you want to travel to the Cote d'Azur and spend 4 - 5 days there. If this is correct, these would be my responses to your questions:

1) To travel to the Cote d'Azur from Milan, you can take a train and you want to start your search on TrenItalia. Without going through the full process myself, I'm thinking that you will probably change trains at the Italian/French border and take a TER, a regional train, to the Cote d'Azur. These trains are frequent and do not require reservations, and will have stops at the string of resorts that is the Cote D'azur. Here is link to TrenItalia, and I hope you will hear from Perilizia or Syndneynick who are really helpful about traveling from Italy to the Cote d'Azur:

http://www.trenitalia.com/

...and here is where you can view info on the TER trains. To get to a PDF, follow the directions below the link:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

1) Select the “04 Mandelieu – Cannes – Nice – Ventimiglia” route from the “My Line” list and “Validate.”

2) Under “My search results,” select the same route and you will get to the PDF. For the route in the other direction, scroll through the pages.

Another option would be to fly, and in checking flights on Kayak.com, it looks like AlItialia has flights that will get you to Nice with a connection through Rome. If you can get to Rome, EasyJet, a discount regional airline, flies from Rome to Nice, but be sure to read their baggage policy carefully. If you are traveling with a lot of luggage, a major airline can be as good of a deal.

2) Where to base yourself? That's going to be a matter of your preference. I see a base as how you want to start and end your day, and when we travel, I'm on the go to the other destinations. The Cote d'Azur is a string of resorts, each with it's own personality, and they are connected by a very good rail system (the TER linked earlier). Cannes > Monte Carlo takes a little less than one hour, so staying in one resort doesn't mean you will miss the others. As for style, I see Cannes as "beachy" (sandy) and "glitz and glamour," Antibes and Juan les Pins are closely connected and offer beach (again, sandy) and and a charming "old town," Nice is going to be the largest resort with a lovely old town and a pebbly beach, and Villefranche sur Mer is "village-y" and has a somewhat coarse, but not "stoney," beach. Those would be my top four, but if you want a "contained resort," look at Beaulieu sur Mer/Cap Ferrat, Cap d'Antibes and Monte Carlo. To research all of these, go to the TA home page for each destination, and you will find a wealth of information, including travelers' pictures and hotel/restaurant reviews. I have assumed you want to stay along the coast, but if that's not your intent, also look at St. Paul de Vence, Eze (Village) and Vence. These mountain villages are connected to the coastline by bus routes. When you are considering places to stay, do a Google Walking Map search from an address to something like "Gare (and the town) or the beach. Satellite images will also help to get you oriented. "Cannes," "Nice, "Antibes" etc., can mean lots of things, so don't skip this step.

3) Day trips? There are lots of them, and regardless of where you decide to base yourself, I recommend grouping them as being on one side of Nice or the other: Cannes, St. Paul de Vence, Vence, Tourrettes sur Loup, Grasse and Antibes/Juan les Pins as one group, and Villefranche, Beaulieu sur Mer/Cap Ferrat, Eze (Village) and Monte Carlo as the other. All of these destinations in either group would be a bit much for one day, so you will have to make some choices or divide them into separate days. FYI, direct bus routes to St. Paul (400) and Eze (82) leave from Nice, and the 83 bus leaves from Beaulieu to Eze Village. To get to the mountain villages from the other resorts, you will take a train to the nearest train station and a bus from there. When you've decided what day trips most interest you, come back for more specific directions.

Here is where you can view the bus routes.

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

I hope this gets you started and that you will hear from other contributors to share their perspective.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

I just realized I left nice out of my list of day trips, and that's because I was intending to recommend it as a day unto itself. For that day, I would recommend starting out with a "Nice Greeters" tour:

http://en.nicetourisme.com/nice-greeters

These are resident volunteers and as you follow the links, you will see a submission form where you can request a specific focus for your tour. Nice Greeters will share this with the greeters and you will receive email responses from those who are available and interested. I took one of these tours on my last trip, and it was a lovely experience.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

It makes no sense to fly from Milan to Nice - there are no direct flights, and indirect flights will cost more and take as long.

For trains from Milano Centrale to Ventimiglia see www.trenitalia.com - click the UK flag first for English, and enter your 'hour' of departure e.g. '13' for 13.00. For trains from Ventimiglia to anywhere on the coast see …ter-sncf.com/Images/Paca/Tridion/FH_04_Mand… - buy tickets from Ventimiglia to French destinations at station booking offices (not ticket machines) in Milan or Venttimiglia.

There is also a bus three times a day direct from Milan's Lampugnano bus station to Nice airport http://uk.idbus.com/line/nice-milan This bus is slower than the train for travel between most city centre locations.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

Perilizia is right - no one ever flies from Milan to Nice. The train works, but isn't great - you will need to change at least once on the journey. Most people from here drive to Milan, which takes about four hours, but to hire a car in Italy and drop it off in France is expensive. You don't say where you are leaving from once your honeymoon is over - it could make all the difference to the advice we give.

Monaco and Monte Carlo are the same place, about half an hour from Nice and an hour from Cannes. Where you base yourself depends on your taste and your budget. Monaco has a lot going on over new year and everything is within walking distance, but on the whole is not cheap. Nice has a huge range of places to stay from budget to high end, as well as being a very lovely city with lots to see and do, so it may offer you more options. The sandy beach at Cannes is irrelevant in December and I think it has less to offer.

As for day trips, we really need to know what you like to do in order to advise properly. The Côte d'Azur has something for everyone. You could start by browsing the relevant forums to read about what other people have done.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

Hi,

Thanks eveyone for the advices! I am coming back from mexico and vegas. Ending my honeymoon in french riviera and heading back home to india. I have to go back to milan to get the return flight back home as it is booked already. Budget is not a problem but not something over the top or ridiculously expensive. I am looking to stay in one place and then have day trips from there as its jus for 4days. I want to spend the new years eve in a good location as well. Beach is not on my mind. I want to experience more of rustic european small villages and cafes and art galleries. Explore hill towns and if possible go on the yatch in the harbour in any of the locations.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,782 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

For people who live on the Riviera, driving to Milan may well be sensible as they can just walk out the door and jump straight into their own cars.

For tourists coming from Milan, the train is usually more sensible. Milan to Monaco-Monte Carlo takes 4.5 hours including the change of train in Ventimiglia.

A direct drive from Milan to Monaco may only take from around 3.5 hours, but you'll probably need a rest stop on the way, you'll have to spend time picking the car up from the rental agency, while the fuel and tolls alone cost more than the train fare for two. And not all tourists enjoy driving in Milan traffic nor the along the Riviera autostrada, which is more difficult than most fast toll roads because of the frequent tunnels, viaducts and bends.

Only drive if you are returning the car to Italy later, and need it to visit inland areas. Touring the coast is easy by train and/or bus.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 13:36
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

I'm thinking you are actually going to have three full days in the Côte d'Azur and the other days will be at least partial travel days. From your last post, I think Nice would be good base. It's not "rustic European small villages'" but it's old town is charming and itransportation to those and other destinations is going to be the most direct from Nice. Being a large city, there are a number of art galleries in Nice, and it will be good place to spend your New Year's and have a choice of things to do. If mountain villages are of particular interest, you can take trains fron Nice into the Maritime Alps.

8. Re: 4nights 5days trip to cote de azure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16