We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

Hi, i am planning a 2 week trip to Europe for 5, we will be leaving from France. The countries / cities that we plan to visit are Barcelona, Germany, Milan, Florence and Venice in Italy, Switzerland, Amsterdam, Austria, Santorini and Athens in Greece, Prague and Belgium.

I know the list of cities is a little overwhelming, but i would like to get advise, which to visit first, and which that i could save for the next trip.

If i were to go to Germany, Switzerland, Prague and Belgium, which cities should i visit?

Besides, it would be appreciable if someone would also advise me on how many days approx to spend at each place.

Thank you so much.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,868 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

You do not have anything like enough time in 2 weeks to do that - unless you have a profound interest in roads, stations & airports. In 2 weeks you can only scrape the surface of Paris & its region. When would this trip be? The season can make a big difference. You need to consult some guide books to know what is of interest to you & where to find it.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

yes, i think so too, that 2 weeks is not enough to cover all cities, if so, could u suggest, which cities should i visit first for this trip? Thank you for ur help much appreciated :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

You could easily spend your whole tome just traveling among this number of locations and be left with no time in each destination...maybe, an overnight, but you'd be off again in the morning. I'm pretty sure that's not what you intended and this is a wish list from which you mean to work.

Travel days can be half days, but they are often longer. You really need to block these out. IMO, it takes at least 3 - 4 days to appreciate a destination, so if you are going to visit several locations, allow yourself time to enjoy them. Transportation is where I start in deciding where we will travel, and how you can work this out might help you decide your itinerary. Pick a few favorites from this list, look at your transportation options (by rail and air) and to shorten your travel time, avoid connections, particularly by air. If you are traveling by train, expect to change trains at to near borders, but avoid other connections. When you look for train travel, go to the line that operates from the start of your travel; for example, SNCF in France, TranItalia from Italy, Bahn in Germany, etc. Look at Thalys for cross border routes between some cities. You can do a Google search for these websites. There are several budget airlines, but read the baggage restrictions carefully. When traveling between several locations, book your flight between home and Europe "open jaw," into one airport and out from another, and I would set your arrival and departure destinations as the ones where you find your best flights. BTW, Nice (NCE) is an international airport.

Once you've tightened your plans, go back to the forums for the locations you've selected. You will get lots of helpful information.

Happy trip planning!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

As you posted on the French Riviera forum it isn't clear if you are planning to fly into Nice? Where you are starting from is an important key to your overall planning.

As tradform says your itinerary is very ambitious indeed and it is also not clear if you plan to fly, go by rail, hire a car....?

Re your question on Germany, Switzerland, Prague ( capital of the Czech Republic) and Belgium my personal preference would be :

Germany definitely Munich , possibly Berlin.

Switzerland: Interlaken for the Bernese Oberland

Prague

Belgium: Bruges

Ed

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

Ed and I posted at the same time, and I also suggest Munich. We once flew to Nice from Munich and booked a 7+ hour layover in Brussels. I don't know if today's schedules would still make this possible, but it was a way we worked in a brief stop in third destination. The train from the airport to Brussel's Grand Square was easy, but make sure you allow plenty of time to get back to the airport. The beer garden in the airport was an entertaining place to spend the time we had before our departure. Our bags were checked to NCE, and we traveled light in the plane. This isn't Bruges, as Ed suggested, but it's Belgium and we enjoyed our afternoon in Brussels.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 17:57
6. Re: First Europe Trip (2 weeks) help needed.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:22