We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

riviera at the end of a trip; where/when to go?

Monterey, California
11 posts
Save Topic
riviera at the end of a trip; where/when to go?

We're planning a trip to France, and I would like to go mid-late September. I'm thinking we fly into Paris or Geneva, head to Chamonix for a few days of hiking, then to Provence and the Riviera for a few days of bicycle riding and sitting at the beach. I'm wondering what the ideal location would be for cycling on country roads (near lavender fields, the whole bit), as well as allowing for access to the beach. (Will it even still be toasty enough for the beach in December?) Any and all recommendations and tips are much appreciated.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: riviera at the end of a trip; where/when to go?

Mid / late September is perfect beach weather on the Riviera( I think the mention of December was an error...?)

As well there are plenty of incredibly scenic hiking and biking opportunities especially between Nice and Monaco.

The following link will give you some of the online guides available with maps of routes. Pays Cotier is the area closest to the coast but going inland you will find challenging trails of an Alpine nature.

asp.zone-secure.net/v2/index.jsp…

Lavander country is considerably inland away from the coast - around Digne - but in any event it will be well gone by September.

Ed

Monterey, California
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: riviera at the end of a trip; where/when to go?

Yes! Ha, I don't know what I was thinking, I didn't mean to mention December...

Many thanks for your thoughts!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,927 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: riviera at the end of a trip; where/when to go?

For the "where" part of your question

Look at Cassis. A lovely beach village in Provence. It has an old town and multiple beaches.

Also close to Cassis (in Cassis?) are the Calanques. Massive rock gorges in the sea that you can hike to and in around or boat into. See cassis #1 attractions on TA.

Of course there are many great beach towns in the riviera to the east. I thought if cassis for the hiking and beach combo.

Depending on what you like, look at Nice, Antibes Menton, Villefranche sur mer.... I have not been to st Tropez but

would look into it for September when it may be more manageable.

4. Re: riviera at the end of a trip; where/when to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:19