We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riveria in February

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
French Riveria in February

I have a ticket for next week (Feb 18) to the french riveria, was supposed to stay with a boyfriend who lives there but it ended so i am travelling with a girlfriend and neither of us know the area. I know that there have been very heavy rains. That being said, we are based in Nice, and i have rented a car for the week. Was hoping to still hit Eze, St. Paul, Antibes, Cannes, Monaco and Menton. So two questions:

1. What are our options in the rain? is the whole area shut down? Or is there enough in these towns, between bad weather and off season that is still good to do as tourists?

2. What other towns are a must see? I'd love to hit St. Rafael and St. Maxime, but not sure if there is anything going on there this time of year.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Liven Up Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Art and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Segway Mobilboard Nice
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, City Tours
Liven Up
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riveria in February

Whether is going to be the luck of the draw, but in checking the Weather Channel, it's not looking too bad - mid fifties. Dress in layers and bring a weather proof coat or poncho...you'll be fine.

I can answer some of your questions, but look for more from other contributors:

1) Nice is a city that doesn't shut down, and neither will most of the coastal towns. You may find some of the more touristy dining "spotty" and a few (especially beach restaurants) may be only open for lunch, but real people live in these towns and things don't go dormant when the travelers disappear. Scaled back a bit, maybe, but not gone away. Some of the more touristy shops may be closed, but you will still find interesting shops to explore.. Nice has some wonderful museums (don't miss the Chagall and Matisse museums), and if it rains, you might also want to visit the Matisse Chapel in Vence and the Foundation Maeght near St. Paul. The good news is that you won't be caught in hordes of other travelers and you'll be able to appreciate why the most popular destinations attract so many people.

2) I don't know St. Rafeal or St. Maxime, so see what others have to say.

Traffic and parking won't be as difficult when you are in Nice as it is during the summer, but know that the region has an excellent transportation system. Trains travel along the coast and connect the coastal towns, and buses will take you St. Paul and Vence (400) and Eze Village (82).

This will get you started and I hope this bump brings you more replies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riveria in February

Thanks - you're right, the city won't be "shut" and might actually be easier to navigate without too many tourists! Thanks again

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,784 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riveria in February

St Raphael Ste Maxime and Menton will be pretty dead but the others pretty lively. The hill villages of Eze and St Paul attract day trippers all year but deserted at night. Add Villefranche to your 'must see ' list.

Ed

Edited: 10 February 2014, 21:40
4. Re: French Riveria in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:18