We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks in the French Riviera

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Two weeks in the French Riviera

Hi all,

My husband and I and our two teenage sons will be travelling to Nice for 14 nights in late July/early August (we booked our return flights from Nice).

We are wondering if there will be enough to see in the French Riviera region for the full 2 weeks. If so, any help on day trips from Nice would be most helpful. We have a few villages we want to visit, such as Eze and Villefranche sur Mer and Antibes, but any others destinations will be useful.

We have been told that a week is long enough and to either take the following week and visit Corsica or to travel along the Italian Riviera. We do not want to be moving in and out of hotels every few days so we will base ourselves in Nice while in the French Riviera and if you think it is a good idea to go into the Italian Riviera, what would a be a good base visit that region. We have heard that Portfofino and Santa Margherita are nice towns to visit in the region.

We enjoy the beach, eating at good, reasonably priced restaurants serving local fare and spending the day visiting quaint villages and museums.

Your help is much appreciated.

Andrea

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

With 2 weeks you have a lot of options. I think a week in the Italian Riviera sounds nice - but would you be interested in something other than the beach? What about some time in Western Provence? Tuscany? The lake region of Italy? I would definitely recommend heading to this "other" destination first and ending your trip in Nice on order to avoid that awkward last night near the airport.

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

Hi F1racegirl,

I should have mentioned this in my post.

Our family has been to Italy 3 of the last 4 summers. We have spent time in Rome, the Amalfi Coast, Tuscany, Lake Como and Venice and have also travelled down south to the Pulia region, visiting Lecce and Otranto.

We have not seen the Italian Riviera so we thought it was a nice place to see.

Andrea

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

No problem. What about heading to the Costa Brava in Spain for a different experience?

On a couple of trips I've split up my time around Nice. Staying a few days in Nice and using public transportation, and then staying outside of Nice and using a car to visit smaller towns.

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

We have travelled to Barcelona and the Costa Brava as well as to San Sebastien.

What we are wondering is if we should just rent an apartment for the full two weeks in Nice and take day trips from there or split our time one week in Nice (including day trips) and another week in either in Corsica or the Italian Riviera.

If you think it would be a good idea, which town in the Italian Riviera would be a good base. And if we do split the time in the French Riviera what other town would you recommend to stay in other than Nice.

Andrea

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

If you are going to the South of France you really have to go to Provence!

1 week in Nice and 1 in Provence, check Cassis if you want more seaside, and the luberon towns for the quaint provencal perched villages (bonnieux, gordes, lacoste) or Aix en Provence, larger college town near Cassis

Edited: 11 February 2014, 03:45
Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

Hi,

We travelled the Provence area for a week on our trip from Paris to Barcelona.

So, it's Nice and the surrounding area for 2 weeks, split between nice and Corsica or split between nice and the Italian Riviera.

Andrea

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

You certainly could spend 2 weeks on the French Riviera - I came to Antibes for an hour or so and so far have been here nearly 20 years.

However as a tourist you will want to move around ( one base is enough as you have guessed) for the Cote d'Azur. Personally I would do the suggested Cote d'Azur and rural Provence.

Just be aware the western side of the Italian Riviera e.g San Remo is not much more than an hour from Nice by train so achievable in a day trip. However Portofino (or the Cinque Terre) on the far side of Genoa is definitely not a day trip from Nice as some tourists imagine.

If you decide on both Nice and Barcelona - a nice contrast - take the plane - the journey by train west of Marseille is tedious in the extreme.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

Agree with Ed, you could spend 2 decades based on the French Riviera quite easily.

But If you want to divide your 2 weeks, I would pick Corsica as your add on for contrast to The French Riviera

Hope this helps

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

Hi,

Your advice is really welcome.

We were in Barcelona as well a few years back (we had started in Paris, drove to the Provence region, then drove to Barcelona) so it really comes down to either Corsica or the Italian Riviera as an add on to the French Riviera.

We are leaning towards Corsica. Would 5 days there be enough, leaving 9 days in Nice and the surrounding area?

As well, where in Corsica should we stay. We would want sandy beaches, an old town great for walking day or night, but easy enough to drive and see some of the island.

Thanks again.

Andrea

10. Re: Two weeks in the French Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:21