We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions??

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions??

We are flying into Marseille on May 10th and have rented a car; will be in the cote d'azure area for 8 nights/9 days. We would love some suggestions from you seasoned travellers in regard to what are some the highlights and not to be missed places. My partner would rather have only two home base rentals (he would rather rent a small condo that would sleep three of us and only move once). Maybe one in Nice? One in Aix? We would like to do day trips from a home base. Just starting to plan and thought this would be a good place to start. Thank you everyone!! Regards, Rhonda

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,963 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions??

A good place to start would be a with a guide book. The Michelin Green Guide to Provence is a good one.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions??

Is your entire trip over 8-9 days, or will you have 8-9 days designated for the Cotes d'Azur?

I'll start you off with a starter list of places to explore in a good guide book, and generally, you want to group them (as I will) as being on one side of Nice or another. These lists are not meant to be single trips, but each group should be planned over two or three days. Nice should be given at least TA day unto itself.

1) Villefranche sur Mer, Beaulieu sur Mer and Cap Ferrat, Eze (Viilage), and Monte Carlo

2) Antibes, St. Paul de Vence, Vence, Tourettes sur Loup, and Cannes.

These are the most popular tourist destinations, but if you have a full eight days, you can travel further into the Maritime Alps and the towns between the mountains and the coastline.

Will you be flying home from Marseille or (better!) flying open jaw out of Nice's international airport?

Mentioned in this post
Villefranche-sur-Mer
Villefranche-sur-Mer
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Eze
Eze
Antibes
Antibes
St-Paul-de-Vence
St-Paul-de-Vence
Vence
Vence
Cannes
Cannes
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Loup
Loup
422 Reviews
Paris, France
Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions??

Thank you so much! We are renting a car and after our 8 -9 day in the South of France, we are driving up to Paris and will be in Paris and surrounding areas for about 5 days - any suggestions for this part of our trip?

Your comments are much appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions??

I would suggest that you take the train to Paris and not drive there.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions??

So you mean you are dividing your 8 nights [ which is 7 full days, not 9, especially as one day is the day you arrive ] between the Cote d"Azur and the provencal area around Aix. My first observation is that you probably should be flying into Nice and not Marseille ?? It does not make sense to fly into Marseille, drive to Nice and then backtrack to Aix. If you start in Aix and then go Nice, it is an awfully long drive to Paris. Either way it is a long drive to Paris when you only have 5 days , or do you have additional days for the drive to Paris?? You could take a week to drive from Aix to Paris and have a very nice time. You do not need a car in Paris, so unless you are planning to stop and see a few places in between over a few days, the best option is to take the train to maximise your time in Paris. Have you been to Paris before ? It alone deserves those 5 days.

Both these regions have lots to do and see. Do some research and see what you think is a good division of your time. We love self catering, but stay in smaller places. We find they often want a week long stay, but it may be different for apartments in places such as Nice or Aix. I do not know.

I hope you have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Cote Lounge
Cote Lounge
519 Reviews
Nice, France
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions??

You are not going to be able to rent apartments/condos for less than a week, and that usually starts on a Saturday. I would suggest that you decide between western Provence and the Côte d'Azur, and allow yourself to fully enjoy one or the other.

I agree that driving to Paris is not what I would choose to do, but you could plan a driving route that winds in that direction. Besides the Michelin guide, look at "Frommers 24 Great Drives" and Eyewitness' "Backroads France," These routes tend to be circular, but you can piece them together. You can fly from Nice to Paris (1 1/2 hours flying time + pre-boarding arrival) or take the train (5 - 6 hours). In the end, flying may be a little faster, but not enough that I would discount the train if that's what you want to do. When booked in advance, flights are quite reasonable, but read the EasyJet baggage policy carefully. AirFrance can cost the same once you've added in those fees and there are fewer variables. I also agree that I would not want to bothered with a car in Paris.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
France
France
Europe
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions??

I was thinking the same as Troggs in choosing either the western part of Provence or the Cote d'Azur. We are big believers in taking the time to enjoy just being there , but I do appreciate that not everyone wants the same. I am not against driving to Paris because we always have a car for our trips, but only if you have time to make it worthwhile and still have time for Paris. What does ' Paris and surrounding areas ' mean? What would you like to see and do before you get to Paris ?

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
8. Re: Suggestions??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:28