We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

Nyc
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

Hello, we are renting a car and have about an hour to visit one of the above villages - does anyone have a suggestion as to which I should choose to visit?

Thank you in advance!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

where else are you viisting?

Nyc
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

Hi, we will be driving back to Nice from the Gorges du Verdon

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

The drive out to the village of Gourdon (where the chateau is now closed, FYI) and back will take well over an hour--and you've just driven around a spectacular gorge. So I recommend spending your time in Tourettes-sur-Loup, where in an hour you can have a nice walk around the village. If you want to visit a medieval village, however, Biot would be what you're after.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 21:54
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

The view from Gourdon is glorious but as Catullus so correctly says....the Chateau isn't open to the public anymore. and it's a long but beautiful drive.

Tourettes has a "retouched" feel to it. But it's pretty.

Biot would be my choice. Lots to see / do.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

As an afterthought....you might want to add in Valbonne into the mix....it's not "perched" like your other 3 options. But it is a lovely little village. It's kind of unusual for the region as it is is laid out on a Roman "grid" pattern. Lovely village square with some terrific restaurants and there is a wonderful marche' on Friday mornings.

As I mentioned in my other post......the drive up to Gourdon and the views from Gourdon are stunning, but for us at least it has changed since the Chateau closed. A good friend of ours owned a very succesful (seasonal) shop there that sold silk scarves and garments. She closed it after the Chateau closed and and the number of visitors declined. Still....the views are amazing.

The vast majority of visitors to the Cote d'Azur never leave the coastal cities / towns / villages. Good for you to go "off the beaten path".

You will enjoy enjoy any of the 4 villages discussed on this thread.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 09:14
Nyc
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

Thank you everyone! We will skip Gourdon based on your recommendations!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,343 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

Another good view is to be had from the medieval village of Mougins--right in the parking lot, too. There's a viewing table to let you know what you're looking at.

8. Re: Biot vs. Gourdon vs. Tourrettes sur Loup?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16