We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Lower Hutt, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Hello. My daughter 18 and I (both kiwis) are thinking of travelling here in the last week of August (ex London) flying in....I know this is peak season but this is the only time she is available as she is working in a school. Would like to spend approx. 8 nights somewhere in the South of France and base our selves somewhere in a Airbnb place and take day trips using public transport. Could someone suggest the best place to locate ourselves...Nice, Provence? We are on a limited budget but would like to make the most of our time here. Suggestions and feedback would be awesome!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Such a broad and general question is impossible to answer. I can certainly tell you what I like. But what do you like? When you think south of france what do you picture?

South of France encompasses Languedoc-Roussillion which is west of Provence. I assume you want to focus on the Provence and Riviera region. Read a guidebook, and review these boards. There is tons of information.

Are you looking for small villages, perched mountain villages, coastal villages, wineries, beaches, larger cities, resorts, water sports and boating, history, antiquing, markets ...? Will you have a car? (This can make a big difference)

Edited: 14 May 2014, 00:26
Lower Hutt, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Hi, thanks for your reply. We will not have a car, and yes I should get a guide book to help, but was hoping the use of these forums would also be useful. I like a mixture of small villages that are character filled and authentic, mountain villages, coastal villages etc.. Like to wander around a market for interesting and different finds, but also see a bigger city for the architecture and culture but not really for any shopping as we are travelling on a shoestring! Wineries - not really fussed, access to a beach is good but not essential, somewhere that has a swimming pool in the accom will do. Like to stop at cafes along the way, just anything that will fill in our day, we are both fit and active so don't mind walking or biking etc

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,764 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Nice is IN Provence.

And Provence is a vast area.

In order to ask pertinent questions, you need to have a basic / minimal understanding of the area.

A guide book will give you that.

The Cote d'Azur and Western Provence are not really "traveling on a shoestring" destinations....particularly in August.

If you want to visit small villages & mountain villages in Western Provence......public transport won't cut it. You'll need a car.

"Airbnb places" and other vacation rentals almost always rent for 7 day periods (Saturday to Saturday.)

But all of the most desirable vacation rentals will have been booked up months ago.

You pay a premium for accomodations with a swimming pool.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Last week in August is quietening down and can be very pleasant. As the other replies suggest the area altho it looks small on the map is geographically very diverse. My suggestion would be Nice or Arles or better still a mixture of both. Nice had great cheap public transport and you won't need a car to get to the famous name plea like Cannes,Antibes, Monaco etc. (St Tropez is an exception -no train and bad traffic -but you can take a very nice boat cruise from Nice or Cannes.

You can get around the main towns of western Provence like Arles, Aix en Provence and Avignon by train but you would need a car to see the heartland of rural Provence -the Luberon.

Ed

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,919 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

Last week in August is quietening down and can be very pleasant. As the other replies suggest the area altho it looks small on the map is geographically very diverse. My suggestion would be Nice or Arles or better still a mixture of both. Nice has great cheap public transport and you won't need a car to get to the famous name places like Cannes,Antibes, Monaco etc. (St Tropez is an exception -no train and bad traffic -but you can take a very nice boat cruise from Nice or Cannes.

You can get around the main towns of western Provence like Arles, Aix en Provence and Avignon by train but you would need a car to see the heartland of rural Provence -the Luberon.

Ed

6. Re: Suggestions for week long visit Riviera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 06:16