We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riviera Itinerary

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
French Riviera Itinerary

Hi TA-ers,

I am planning a trip with some friends in Oct2014 and would like to seek your expert advice! Tripadvisor has been great in helping me plan my trip, I have a rough idea of what I want to see/do. Please help in letting me know if the below makes sense and if I am missing out on any major attractions/must do.

Some background, we are a group of 5 in our early 30s, fit condition, mainly interested in major sights (not much of a Museum type people though), small and quaint villages, markets are a must and also we want to experience the food of the area. We are planning to arrive in Nice from Paris on 4Oct in the evening and leaving Nice on 14Oct. For the sake of simple planning I will be posting two posts, one for the French Riviera and one for the Provence/Luberon area. This one is for French Riviera itinerary first. Appreciate all your inputs, thanks in advance!

4 Oct Day 1 - Arrive in Nice, get a good night's rest since we are traveling from Asia and will have around 20 hours of travel.

5 Oct, Day 2 - Explore Old Nice, go to the market on Cours Saleya, grab bus to go to Monaco explore the city til the afternoon. Go back to Nice and explore Nice at night.

6 Oct, Day 3 - Take bus to explore the old villages around Nice:

- Eze in the AM where we will go to J’ardin de Eze ,

- Villefranche Sur Mer,

- St Jean Cap Ferrat, where we will do the hike and explore the Villa & Jardins Ephrussi de Rotschild

7 Oct, Day 4 – Pick up rental car and drive to Cannes in the AM where we will be basing ourselves for the next two nights. (I would also welcome any other suggestion as to where to base ourselves. Mainly we are looking for a place where it’s alive even at night but not too busy).

Explore Cannes after checking into hotel for the rest of the day that will include la Croisette.

8 Oct, Day 5 – Drive to Antibes in the morning, get some breakfast and explore the city a bit. Drive to Gorges Du Verdon and spend the rest of the day there, a picnic with the things we get from Antibes/Cannes, perhaps? Return to Cannes for dinner.

That’s basically what I have for French Riviera, I am okay to add another day in the French Riviera side if any of you have more suggestions on where to go.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

It is a very good itinerary however there is no reason to move your base or rent a car. Buses from Nice will take you to "the old villages" as you call them. And trains run along the coast and take you traffic free you to Cannes and Antibes from Nice in less than an hour. It's is an easy day trip.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

Thanks caseymorgan! But we are driving to gorges du verdon so maybe we can just pick up the car rental on the day when we want to go to gorges du verdon?

Anybody else have any tips on where to go? Much appreciated !

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

Your itinerary sounds great Consider doing Cannes and Antibes by train. You won't need a car till you head west. I'm one if the few who will encourage you to keep your two bases in the riviera. All the towns you picked are great. I wouldn't drop any of them. Others to consider are Menton, Vence and St Paul de Vence if you want to look at options.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

Thanks Doby47! That's two for not renting a car just to go to Cannes and Antibes! Maybe we will just base ourselves in Nice for our riviera side of the trip!

Will also look into Menton, Vence and St. Paul de Vence, thanks for the recommendations!

And does everybody agree that the itinerary on Day 3 is doable - to explore Eze, St Jean Cap Ferrat and Villefranche Sur Mer in the same day?

Thanks!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

Eze, St Jean and Villefranche are easily doable. For most people an hour or so is enough for Eze, then bus 83 to Beaulieu, which is right beside Cap Ferrat, takes 20 minutes.. Don't know how much walking you want to do but you can walk to St Jean and then the villa in 20 minutes or so, then walk to Villefranche in about half an hour or take bus 81, about 15 minutes. Bus 81 or 100 back to Nice takes 10 minutes. It is important to check bus timetables as, particularly going to and from Eze, there are long gaps. By the way, the view is one of the main attractions in Eze so, like the Peak in Hong Kong, don't go on a cloudy day.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

helpful stuff! Thanks LondonBob!

I have decided to not change base and take the train for a day trip to Cannes and Antibes. I've also planned to stop by St Paul de Vence on the way to Gorges du Verdon, because I did some research and St Paul looks and sounds amazing! Thanks all!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

By the way, where can I check the time tables for the buses?

Philadelphia...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

I am planning a trip to Nice as well, we will be there in July. Haven't looked into the buses yet but your itinerary is helpful. If you haven't booked a place yet check out nicepebbles.com. I found it suggested on another TA forum and am so glad I did. Their apartments look beautiful and when traveling with a group it's usually much more economical, plus you get to really experience the town. The company has been really helpful and responsive so far.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

Liz M, thanks so much for your suggestion! I was only looking at airbnb before your post. Unfortunately nicepebbles apartments are a bit out of our price range. I've been looking at your nice apartment which have apartments within our budget, they also look super nice!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
46 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Riviera Itinerary

By the way, we've changed our itinerary based on all your inputs.

Sat 4 Oct Day 1 – Arrive in Paris, get a good night’s rest. Plan to stay in a hotel near the airport.

Sun 5 Oct, Day 2 – Leave for Nice in the PM. Explore Nice in the afternoon.

Mon 6 Oct, Day 3 – Go to the market on Cours Saleya, grab bus to go to Monaco explore the city til the afternoon. Go back to Nice and explore Nice at night.

Tue 7 Oct, Day 4 – Take bus to explore the towns around Nice:

- Eze in the AM where we will go to J’ardin de Eze ,

- Villefranche Sur Mer,

- St Jean Cap Ferrat, where we will do the hike and explore the Villa & Jardins Ephrussi de Rotschild.

Wed 8 Oct, Day 5 – Take train to Cannes. Explore La Croisette, lunch at Cannes. Then continue to Antibes, lunch there. Go back to Nice by train.

Thu 9 Oct Day 6 – check out of hotel.

Pick up rental car to go to Gorges Du Verdon. On the way to Gorges Du Verdon, stop by St Paul de Vence for breakfast. Continue on to Gorges Du Verdon taking the north route, pass by routes des cretes, and then stop by Moustiers Ste Marie for a stroll/afternoon tea. Then continue on to south route and stopping by Lac de Sainte Croix. Make way to St Remy de Provence.

We still appreciate any inputs that any of you may have and hopefully our itinerary will help someone plan their trip as well!