We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with best beaches

Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with best beaches

My husband and I are looking to go to the riviera next May. Looking for nice beaches, place with good food, and "small town, local" feel- if that makes sense. We will not have a car. So far Villefranch or Antibes look interesting, but up for any suggestions people may have.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with best beaches

In May you may or may not get beach weather but it is still nice to be by the beach.

Villefranche sur Mer is very pretty and definitely has a small town feel even though it is well located near Nice. The beach is fine but i would not go to Villefranche "for the beach". It has one small beach that is a mixture of fine gravel and sand. No lounge chairs or umbrellas for rent. It is a perfectly useable beach with nice views if you are staying there.

Antibes has multiple beaches and is next to the town of Juan Les pins which is more of a "beach resort" with white sand beaches. Antibes is not small but has a very local small town feel in its wonderful Old Town.

There is more to do in Antibes than in Villefranche but- there is tons to do near both by train or foot.

One of my personal favorites is Menton. Bigger than Villefranche and I think smaller than Antibes. It too has a local small town feel. Multiple beach options. It is the last town to the east and ideal for day trips by train to Italy and also Nice.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay with best beaches

Villefranche sur Mer is absolutely striking but the feel, at least to me, is more of a village than a small town. Antibes would tick your needs on every level, IMO.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with best beaches

With Villefranche and Antibes you have already whittled it down to the 2 best choices given your criteria. the drawback for Villefranche , a very beautiful place , are fairly limited choice of accommodation and eating out. Also if you plan to stay more than 3 days it may pall a bit.

However both are on the train line and everywhere from Cannes to Menton.is in easy reach

Antibes has 50 restaurants in its Old Tow, good beaches and choice of hotels and apartments - also its twin town Juan les Pins has a great beach (but maybe not great food- the restaurants in the latter tend to be limited to pasta and pizza).

Just note that May features the Cannes Film Festival (last 2 weeks) and Monaco Grand prix ( last week) which may have some effect on your plans so start looking soon.

Ed

Edited: 07 July 2014, 09:27
Ulster Park, New...
Level Contributor
102 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with best beaches

Thanks for the helpful info. Do you have any other suggestions along the coast for places to stay with decent beaches, rooms (a view would be nice), and nice eating places? Would it be worth dividing our time between 2 different areas?

5. Re: Where to stay with best beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:15