We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

Hello all. I have been reading the posts in the Cote d'Azur forum over the course of the last few weeks and had a few questions I was hoping you could help me with. I am traveling with a group of late 20/early 30's friends from the US who like to have fun. In recent years we have gone to Ibiza and Mykonos and would like to visit the south of France next July 2015.

We are debating where to stay as a base for 4 days (we are going to Spain for the first half of our trip). We like going to the beach, beach clubs, nice (but late) dinners, bars/clubs at night, and like a more "beach resort" feel (we loved mykonos in this respect). After reading numerous posts on TA, I believe we would be best served in Cannes or Juan les-Pins. We are also discussing doing day trips to St. Tropez and/or Monaco.

From what I've read, it seems as though Juan les-Pins may have more of a beach resort feel, and Antibes sounds liike a great village to explre, but Cannes may be better suited for traveling to other locales by train.

Any advice on whether to stay in Cannes or Juan les-Pins (or elsewhere), and any other advice on the trip, would be greatly appreciated. While this is my first post on TA, the information on these forums has assisted us greatly in our past travels. so thank you in advance.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

Juan les pins, i would say

cannes doesn't have any particular advantages over JLP fr the sort of holiday you seem to be after

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

It sounds like you will prefer Jlp. I don't think that Cannes is necessarily better for travel by train. It is the same train line FYI.

You should however, visit Cannes.

Don't expect any of these places to be as late- night partying as some of the more extreme parts of Mykonos though.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

Thank you for the replies. I did not mean to insinuate that we only wanted late night beach parties, but we do put a beach area at the end of our trips. We appreciate the art/architecture and vibrant/cultural nature of other cities on our trips (we have included london, Paris, Prague, Barcelona in the past), but at the end of our trips we appreciate the beach scene. Is there any aspect of Cannes that would make it a better choice than jlp? I think we would like st tropez, but it will likely be a bit out of our budget, and a bit far away for our base as I would like to see Cannes/nice/Monaco. Thanks again for the input

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,098 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

If it was a contest between Cannes and only Jlp, Cannes would win. But it's not just Jlp. You have to look at Jlp together with Antibes and that changes the dynamic. The walk from Jlp to Antibes is similar to the walk from one end of Cannes to the other. So for all intents you should view Jlp and Antibes together for this comparison.

Cannes feels older and more historic than Jlp. It has an old town although small. People live there year round. Jlp has more of a resort feel.

Cannes Old Port area near the old town is wonderful with pedestrian streets, people watching and cafes around the yachts. But

Cannes also has croissete --the glitzy area with the high end designer stores (eg Chanel) along the promenade and the stereotypical overly tanned older women in their designer dresses and jewels strolling alongside the Ferraris and rollses. It really does have this part on display- I'm not exaggerating. I prefer the old port area but it's all very walkable and Croisette is fun for people watching.

Jlp doesn't really have the old town or local feel and does seem more like a nicer south beach. It feels more laid back than the croissete. It also is generally younger.

Jlp is walking distance to Antibes which has a great large old town, market, Picasso museum etc. Antibes also has cafes restaurants theater beaches and marinas.

Cannes and Jlp both have great white sandy beaches. Both give you access to the train and very easy day trips. They are very close to each other.

You can't go wrong.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

Great, thank you again for the reply. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in JLP or Cannes?

The Garden Beach Hotel seems to be in a great location for JLP, are there similar options of beach hotels in Cannes? My search seems to show that most hotels in Cannes (and other locations) are set off the beach. Thanks again for all the help!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

The Garden Beach in JLP is surprisingly the only hotel in the area that I can think of that is actually 'on the beach. The hotels in Cannes are separated from the beach by a road.

I too feel that JLP has the edge given your specification.

Ed

7. Re: Base for group of friends- Cannes, Juan les-Pins, or __?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:15