We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

My Villa booked through trip advisor has just been cancelled by the owner, 6 months after booking/deposit taken and 3 months before we are due to go, flights and cars booked and paid for. Can anyone offer advise? Can they do this? I need a villa to sleep 9 in the south of france that is about £3k 4-11 aug, many thanks

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,643 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

<<Can they do this?>>

Yes. Both the owner and tenant can cancel. But depending on the terms of the contract you may be entitled to compensation or not. I hope you at least got your deposit back.

Don't worry, even though it is high season you will find something, especially since your budget is generous. Owners also get last minute cancellations from tenants so there will be places available.

But start looking now. There are dozens of sites listing holiday rentals. I see you posted in the Antibes forum, where in the South of France are you looking for?

The homelidays website shows over 60 villas sleeping at least 10 people in your price range in the Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur. Granted many owners don't update their calendar and not all of them are actually available it at least proves you won't be left without anything. And that's just one site out of over a dozen.

Edited: 18 April 2012, 23:08
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

You can take a look here:

http://www.wimco.com/

Check the Offices de Tourisme for the towns which interest you. They often list available villas and apartments. Here is the list for Cap d´Antibes:

antibesjuanlespins.com/accueil/…meubles.aspx

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

It isn't any consolation, but any monies already paid to the owner plus compensation if indicated in the contract should be due to you.

Did the owner indicate their reason for cancelling and are they helping you to find alternative accommodation.

You may want to consider posting a review on TA to warn other guests if you think you have been treated unreasonably

As mentioned above, there are many other sites advertising property for rent.

For example, just checked on the Holiday Rentals site in the Cannes Grasse Antibes area and there seems to be availability for your holiday dates.

Hope you find something

http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/search/refined/france/cannes-grasse-antibes/region:2553/keywords:Cannes+-+Grasse+-+Antibes%2C+France/Sleeps:10/arrival:2012-08-04/departure:2012-08-11/page:2

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,571 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

Sorry to hear about your problem. As I have mentioned before on this forum this is one reason for dealing directly through a French estate agent who is a member of FNAIM, the agent's assocaition, whereby your deposit ( and booking) is guaranteed by law. Dealing blind on the web with a landlord who may live in another country can never be 100% secure unless you are absolutely sure of the source.

French estate agents on:

http://immo.nicematin.com/

Some English speaking agents here:

…angloinfo.com/af/237/french-riviera-estate-…

N.B. some may not be members of FNAIM

FNAIM have their own website

fnaim.fr/listing-agence/Alpes-Maritimes--06-…

The Antibes Tourist Office site should be reasonably trustworthy.

Ed

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

Thank you so much for your advice, really appreciated

Henley-on-Thames...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

Great advice, many thanks!

7. Re: owner has cancelled my booking-HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:17