We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all wine lovers.....

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Calling all wine lovers.....

Wine bluffs, please make your suggestions for wines to buy and take home. No criteria, looking for 4 bottles that have the wow factor, cost up to 20 euros a bottle....

merci mes amies

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

If you go to Nice's best Cave in the old town with shelves buckling buckling, you may actually find the stuff of dreams you ask about:

http://www.cavescaprioglio.com/

Pessac-Leognan is the best up and coming.

Sensibly, go to Carrefoure at Nice TNL and you will find gold and silver medal-wining show wines in the five to nine Euro a bottle that are far better than your Hugh Johnson Guide famous names, which inevitably dissappoint unless properly cellared of the right vintage,.

For Riviera best local wines find Chateau Cremat and Bellet, or Bandol.

Cheers (hic!)

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

are you joking

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
361 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

Thanks Nice Life, just the info I was looking for.

Manchester
Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

I am not going to profess to be a wine expert (coz I'm not) but I do buy 10-12 cases each year when I drive to France and usually a broad range from 3 euros a bottle up to about 20 euros.

I have always found supermarkets to have the widest variety and are generally better value. (Yes, I have been to Bordeaux, St Emillion and Chateauneuf and been to the wine shops and vineyards in those areas)

I've always found the shop assistants in supermarkets extremely knowledgable and helpful if your french is reasonable so talk to them.

My only advice is if you are only buying 4 bottles avoid Chateauneufs and pricey bordeauxs as they arent any cheaper than in the UK unless you buy in bulk.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

have you heard about wine growers ? no best way than visiting some properties and taste the wines. Most of wines sold in supermarkets are of a poor quality. I'm a real wine lover and i don't understand people talking about what they don't know ....

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

Most wine in supermarkets poor quality?

For many years this may have been true - and much French wine used to be made to tip into the Euro-wine lake for subsidies ( you pay for it one way or the other!)

But I have to say I have detected a big improvement inon the supermarket shelves if you are a discerning buyer, willing to experiment and make the odd mistake.I have enjoyed a lot of very French supermarket wine at very low prices, but often disappointed by a top cru for which I have paid a fortune.

I repeat - check Carrefoure for medal-winners - though not foolproof, its still the most reliable way I have found for good wine at everyday prices.

Lausanne
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

I have to agree with Nice Life...as usual. The super marché really have a good selection of wines and I think most of the true French people would agree. It's maybe more "hype" and precious to denie this and say that only in true wineyards you will find good wine. Of course you will! But, you don't need to go that far and you are not searching for a Chateau Latour or Lafitte right?

Go to Carrefour.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
61 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

wines which we bring back from France are Sancerre and Chablis...very nice with fish dishes!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,378 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

If you're there in the autumn, all of the supermarket chains have a "foire aux vines" -- the times vary from chain to chain-- but they frequently carry very good wines for excellent prices.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling all wine lovers.....

yeah wine lovers, you have got the deal ...