We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes, Nice on May 1

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cannes, Nice on May 1

Our cruise ship will be docking for the day on Friday May 1 in Cannes. We had planned to use public transportation to explore Nice, possibly Antibes. Guide books warn that this is a major European holiday and that there will be crowds of vacationers. Does anyone know if 1). there will be crowds using the buses that run from Nice to Monaco and 2)will the museums and shops be closed, for example in Old Nice.....

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes, Nice on May 1

The 1 May is as you heard, a major holiday, especially in France. We never plan to do anything that day in Nice as just about everything is closed. Public transport will be reduced to "Sunday service", which means there'll be less of it and hence more crowded. Most of the shops will be closed. As for museums, I know that in Monaco the Oceanographic Museum will be open. I'd always thought the ones in Nice would be closed (as I say, we never plan anything on 1 May), but the two I just checked don't seem to say on their websites.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes, Nice on May 1

As MC says, 1st May is "Labour Day" ie NO labour day. Based on previous years experience (yes I know Sarkozy is trying to change it but they are not listening) There will be lots of union marches in the morning, with red flags and bullhorns, and pa systems blaring out reggae "get up, stand up, stand up for your rights" general party atmosphere, but its a total shutdown.

I was shocked the other year even the airport express buses stopped. No public transport was running - its taxi if you can or walk.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes, Nice on May 1

May 1st is a public holiday when everything stops -transport museums etc = much more so than xmas or new year when you do get buses and trams running.

To be honest its the worst day to dock for people wanting to use public transport.

Its one day where a pre-booked trip in a mini-bus would probably be the cheapest option. [not the trips organised by the cruise ship]

4. Re: Cannes, Nice on May 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 17:25