We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westchester County...
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Deciding between Nice vs. Cannes as a hotel base (for 1st week in June). My concern is that I won't have a car..I've.been told that in Nice, the train goes to all points of interest (Monte Carlo, Ez, Cannes, etc). However some have suggested I might prefer Cannes as my base hotel. Are the trains just as accessible in Cannes, as they are in Nice? I want a more relaxing hotel, and don't mind taking the day trips to museums in Nice. As long as there are some decent restaurants and wine bars, along with a better beach in Cannes (better beach than Nice), then Cannes is appealing. Just want to make sure that the transportation is just as good in Cannes, without a car. Want to explore other towns during day. Look forward to feedback.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,159 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

No reason you can't have almost the same access to other places in Cannes compared to Nice. The same train line serves Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Villefranche, Monaco, Menton ( and Ventimiglia in Italy) with trains approximately every half an hour. the only thing is you are about 40 minutes further west.

Buses are a little more difficult in Cannes as you have a main bus station in Nice where you can easily get direct buses to Eze village ( no train to here BTW - Eze-sur- Mer is not the same and it is a long climb up from the railway!) as well as other inland places like St Paul de Vence.

One other thing is that you will almost certainly find that eating and drinking in Cannes is going to be more expensive than in Nice. Also while Cannes has some nice beach you should go to Antibes and Juan les Pins for even better.

Ed

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
68 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Thanks Ed for your feedback....How does one go to Ez from Cannes then? If I want a nice beach, I guess I could go to Antibes for the day? Or is that the place to base myself??

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

If you are here for a week then being based at the centre of the travel hub of the Riviera - Nice - is quite important. You have rail and bus connections radiating to everywhere as you are in the centre of it all - in Cannes you are on the furthest point West .

Both Cannes and Antibes are great places - to visit - which you can easily do from Nice.

Then as the mood takes you, from Nice you can easily pop to Monaco, Villefranche, a choice of perched villages like the lovely St Paul de Vence or Eze Village - all a short hop from Nice. Its only negative is the beach is stony.

When you have done your day trip back in Nice late afternoon and evening you have the attractions of the bigger city nightlife restaurants and such. And more importantly, for the odd days when the weather is not good (it rains here too) there is a wealth of cultural attractions in Nice.

I think your first question - Nice or Cannes - sums up your "dilema". Eds points are all good ones. But then so are mine. Whichever you choose you can't really go wrong.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Hi there,

Just to add to the comments above/ reassure you about Cannes.

The centre of Cannes is compact and within the banane ( the banana shaped are which is the centre of Cannes) you will have a great choice of accommodation no more than 5 minutes walk with bucket and spade from the lovely sandy beaches- Cannes has about 7km of them (a mix of free and private). Beg to differ with Ed about the beaches in Antibes being better ! Plus a great selection of decent restaurants, bars, nightlife, the markets, old town,churches, two marinas etc. on hand

You are also just 15 minutes away by ferry from the lovely Isles de Lérins which lie off the coast of Cannes.

Local buses from the centre of Cannes will take you to the perched medieval village of old Le Cannet, great for views and dining in 15 minutes, Valbonne, Mandelieu La Napoule (Henry Clewes museum and ruined castle) and the ligne 200 intercity bus to Antibes in under 30 minutes.

For travel further afield, Cannes is on the same train line as all the towns on the coast including St Raphael to the west, Antibes, Nice, Villefranche, Monte Carlo, Menton and Ventimiglia and in June the Carte Isabelle day pass will give you one day's unlimited travel on the local trains in 1st or 2nd class for 12 euros .

The rail station is right in the centre of Cannes and the trains are far more easily accessible on foot than in Nice or Antibes.

Antibes railway station is rather out on a limb from the old town where you want to be and in Nice the railway station is a tram ride or 25 minute walk from the old town and the bus station

To get to Eze Village from Cannes you can take a train to Nice Ville, then walk or take a tram to the bus station in Nice old town and a bus from there, or a train to Eze sur Mer folowed by a bus to Eze Village, or the train to Monte Carlo and a bus to Eze Village on the way back - lots of possibilities.

Eze combines well with Monte Carlo.

For St Paul it is a short train ride to Cagnes sur Mer and a bus from there up to the village.

As an aside, we frequently find prices in Cannes (away from the Croisette) are actually cheaper than the old town of Nice.

Enjoy!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Cannes is not just the Croisette and Old Nice is just a fraction of Nice

There are hundreds of restaurants in Nice away from the old town that are cheaper and loads of budget places to eat within the old town itself.

And lot more choice overall in Nice than in Cannes

happy619 -the question is how much time do you envisage spending on a beach ?

which places do you want to visit?

If you envisage a beach holiday with the odd bit of sightseeing then Cannes is probably the best choice between Nice and Cannes.

If you want to see a lot of different museums in Nice and environs , go to Eze, st paul de vence, Monaco , etc then you would be best based in Nice rather than trugging back and forth on the trainline [which may not be running for some of the days of your stay if the current wave of strikes continue throughout the year

- see today and tomorrow's strike timetables

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

which were unavailable all of yesterday otherwise i would have started a separate thread.

From Nice you can go to places all around by bus,

You can go to places nearby and combine the sandy beach with a visit to another little town =-eg villefranche, beaulieu, cap ferrat etc

And after all you might actually liike the pebble beach -a lot of people prefer pebbles to snd.

russia
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Usualy I prefer to stay in Nice during Autumn - Spring visits, but Cannes for summer - the beach is really better, and anyway, you may swim with pleasure in the morning and then have a trip to Nice, Antibes or Monte Carlo.

I think you have to list a places that you plan to visit, and stay in Nice if you will have more then half of you stay travelling to full day trips.

If the beach time for you is 1-2 days, and the rest is travelling, you may go to Cannes and Antibes for beaches for these days.

If you planning to go to beach first and use trips as some entertaiment between the sun and see, go to cannes.

Another limitation is timetable of your flight - Nice is 15 minutes from the airoport and it is reliable 15 minutes, and Cannes require more time to go to.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

All good points above.

Cannes is a reliable 45 minutes by direct express coach, so certainly a bit further away than Nice from the airport.

If the trains are on strike, (needless to say), you will find that the buses get rather crowded and less reliable everywhere you try to go.

Would agree with the post above which suggests deciding on your priorities. If the emphasis is on rushing about sightseeing perhaps choose Nice, but if spending time on the beach/relaxing is an important part of your holiday, go to Cannes.

Wherever you end up , the beginning of June is a lovely time of year - enjoy

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

Everybody is different. If it is only about transport then choose Nice. Personally I don't like Nice - (stayed there for a week - it is afterall a city and sometimes felt too hectic and too spreadout for me) but hey that's me. My (Italian) friend prefers Menton his kids (grownup) prefer Nice . My friends live in Cannes but I always stay in Antibes (prefer the old town 'village feel' along with the Marina). It 's as much about how the place makes you feel as to how much you'll enjoy it and nobody can tell you that.

Accept generally whereever you choose it will be expensive - then be happily surprised when you find a nice place cheaper away from the mainstream

The beach at Juan les Pins is very good

9. Re: Cannes vs. Nice (Without Car)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2010, 07:15