We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

I am visiting Cannes and I am booking a van for a few people and I suggested these sites:

St Paul De Vence, Tourettes Sur Loup and Gourdon. Someone gave me their opinion that Gourdon is too commercial and she would recommend Vence instead.

Essentially we are going to Gourdon for the views. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

You could actually visit more than one place depending on the time of your trip (peak season? weekday or week-end?) and your style/pace (just have a look around or visit museums/churches as well?).

Saint Paul and Tourrettes can be combined as they're only 8 kms apart (15-min drive). The distance between Saint Paul and Vence is even shorter.

Since you'll have your own vehicle, you could even consider a whistle-stop in Gourdon to take in the scenery and shoot a couple of pictures (on a clear day, the view from the village is beautiful and yes Gourdon is touristy, but so is Saint Paul). But you should avoid week-ends as it gets crowded + several trails depart from Gourdon and hikers usually park there.

Here are the average driving times :

Cannes > Gourdon : 45-min drive

Gourdon > Tourrettes : 25-min drive

Tourrettes > Saint Paul : 15-min drive

Saint Paul > Cannes : 30-min drive

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

When clear the view from Gourdon is lovely - the emphasis being <when clear > as there is often a distinct haze in summer and additionally Goudon has some spectacular storms and egts shourded in thick cloud.

Gourdon village is IMO the worst touristy tack place in the wider area and is only really interesting to me when in a dramtic storm as then it looks like something out of Dracula -from a distance.

St Paul and even Eze pale in comparison as touristy places to Gourdon, again IMO

Stilll if you are in a minibus , its worth passing by for a few photos

You could maybe go to the waterfalls at the Gorges du Loup

www.cascade-sautduloup.com/index_eng.html

Edited: 27 May 2010, 12:26
Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

Thanks!

I am going to keep plans fluid. If it is a hazy day, Gourdon is out.

How is Vence compared to Tourettes?

I would imagine Tourettes has the better vistas while Vence has that Matisse chapel. What I am trying to get at is are they just variations on a theme or do they have distinct differences?

Edited: 28 May 2010, 01:58
Cape Town
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

Last Friday we did this drive from Cannes easily within 7 hours (granted we did not spend time in the many galleries).

Cannes - Mougins - Grasse(brunch but no perfume factory tour this time) - Tourette-sur-Loupe - Vence(unfortunately just passed through) - St Paul de Vence - back to Cannes via coast road(with traffic not good idea at this time - better to use A8).

The scenery between Grasse and Tourette-sur-Loupe in particular was stunning and Tourette-sur-Loupe was delightful. In retrospect Grasse should have been a separate day visit to do it justice and we should rather have spent time in Vence. St Paul de Vence was as we had been warned - worth including but a real tourist village.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

This is the view of Tourrettes that you get driving up from Pont du Loup:

www.tourrettessurloup.com/index.php…

I like both Tourrettes and Vence (btw make sure you follow the signs that read "ville historique" or you'll end up in the modern part of town) but I don't think it's worth visiting both if you only have 7 hours to spare. Also note that the Matisse chapel is not located within the village walls and remember to check the opening hours as it cannot always be visited :

cotedazur-tourisme.com/culturel/chapelle-du-…

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

Thanks for all your responses.

So would you say Vence and Tourettes are similar enough that you won't get much out of seeing both?

For what it is worth we are visiting on a Tuesday at the end of July.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
394 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

Can you tell me if you are booking just the van or also a driver? We are looking for a van and driver to do a similar trip in October. Thank You.

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

Van and Driver.

We are a party of seven who are visiting for the day via cruise.

9. Re: Which Three would you chose to visit on a seven hour trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 05:16