We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
321 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

Visiting in two weeks, browsed through the restaurant section on here including reviews (ignoring most of the glowing first time poster reviews of course), and we're at a loss to identify a good restaurant serving classic Provence food with an outdoor space, for dinner.

The top-end ones (including the 2 star) have quite a few comments regarding a prissy attitude and huge wine mark-ups and so-so food, and unlke Nice or Villefranche which we know we're finding it hard to pin down a few choices.

Last night went through the list ranked by popularity clicking only the average and poor comments, and it's hard to find places in Cannes seemingly without enough drawbacks to put us off.

Any help appreciated.

We like good classic French cuisine (especially seafood), looking for a good dinner venue, price wise anything from 35-40 euros for a main course without wine.

In London we eat at places like Tom Aitkens, Bibendum, Wolsely but are struggling to find somewhere in Cannes that offers equivalent good food, with good service.

Over to the gourmands... and if any know Villefranche Sur Mer, then something like Cosmo is what we're after...

Edited: 05 July 2012, 19:12
Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
London
London
England, UK
Villefranche-sur-Mer
Villefranche-sur-Mer
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,427 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

jeremymangu- I don't do reviews and tend to avoid anywhere with a lot ( not just first timers) -that is a good way to meet lots of people in Hawaiian shirts. For Cannes I would suggest just finding your way to the Old Town (Le Suquet) and literally follow your nose. Stroll around , look at the blackboards, look at the plates of diners... you can't go wrong. This works in Antibes too.

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Le Suquet
Le Suquet
1,563 Reviews
Cannes, France
Antibes
Antibes
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

I agree with Ed's advice to "follow your nose" and not worry too much about the reviews. Some people get a kick out of putting places down. I have to admit that I enter a restaurant thinking that I'm going to enjoy it and don't look for ways that I don't. I once had a friend that criticized every thing when she was in a restaurant, and as I said, "I once had a friend..." Life's too short to get hung up on the negatives, and dining with her was a lot of work. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad meal in Cannes and for what it's worth, here is a list of some of the restaurants we enjoy.

This restaurant is actually in Le Cannet on a terrace in its historic district with a lovely view down to the sea. You can get there easily by taking the #1 bus to the Tourism Office stop in Le Cannet. Climb the stairs across from the office and walk to your left, staying on the front side of the district.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g207354-d2…

This is one of my favorites for their salads. I (and several friends on different trips) have enjoyed the seafood salad and you can't go wrong with the Salade Nicoise. 72, Croisette is across from Le Martinez.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187221-d1…

I have only been here for a fixed menu business dinner, and it was excellent. I had a scallops risotto that was to die for and my husband had a filet mignon the he and others said was excellent. This is a restaurant that is on beach level, and you will the stairway marked by a flag on the ocean side of Le Croisette.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187221-d223…

I have to say I was a little disappointed in dinner (my duck was a little drier that I would have liked), but I went back for lunch and the crab salad is something I'm going to have again. At both meals, I enjoyed the melon prosciutto. I like small plates, and I've enjoyed the selections at Chez Freddy.

The seafood in this restaurant is prepared around the corner on tables on the sidewalk...it's that fresh and heads straight into the kitchen. If you are looking for seafood, this restaurant is excellent:

The pizzas here are wonderful and the salads are generous. This restaurant is around the corner from the historic harbor and you will recognize it my its red awning.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187221-d7…

We've had several excellent meals here. This is upscale and what has stood out for me were the "tartare" selections:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187221-d9…

We travel in the fall when my husband attends a convention. Admittedly, I tend to return to restaurants I've enjoyed and these restaurants are on my "do again" list. I'm not much on huge, multi course meals, but if I were to do that in France, I'd splurge on the famous Palme d'Or at Le Martinez:

…concorde-hotels.fr/fr/…palme-or.aspx

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187221-…

IMO, it's hard to go wrong in Cannes because Cannes is the best place in the Cote d'Azur to enjoy a meal with a view of the ocean and in a sea breeze. I can only comment on the restaurants where I've had personal experience and there are many other great places you can discover.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
Chez Freddy
Chez Freddy
401 Reviews
Cannes, France
France
France
Europe
La Palme d'Or
La Palme d'Or
443 Reviews
Cannes, France
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

Thanks to both of the above good advice.

russia
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

I will second seefood suggestion - it is my favorite one as well, but make sure that you are erly enought as places are disapeared rather quickly.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

Hi there,

Some good general advice above.

Restaurant reviews can be so difficult to interpret, everyone has individual tastes and palates (and occasionally trumpets to blow and axes to grind). Often the reviews are out of date .

Unsurprisingly, the Cannes restaurant scene evolves like that in London- even the old favourites don't always meet with universal acclaim and occasionally change style - for example Tom Aikens closed, revamped and relaunched very recently, so TA reviews are probably none too helpful at present ? ( would be interested to hear what you think if you've been BTW)-)

Your budget for a main course should allow for fairly high end dining in Cannes. However the problem is the combination of outside space and traditional french cuisine preferably fish and you want great food without the fancy service- from memory Cosmo isn't particularly fancy but it is a few years since we ate there , but I'd say it's quite different from the London restaurants you like..

So, I am loathe to recommend anywhere, but agree that you should swing by Coquillages Brun as suggested above- basic environment, plastic chairs, very busy, service can be less than perfect, but seafood usually very good indeed.

Another suggestion for fish is Gaston Gastounette on Quai St Pierre by the old harbour

Caprice des Mers on rue du Suquet, the restaurant street Ed mentioned could be worth a look- there are many more restaurants there that may take your fancy too

Possibly check out Cote Jardin on av St Louis off bd. Carnot, Mon Reve de Gosse

and l'Antidote on bd Alsace- not strictly french but outside space

Also l'Affable, rue Fontaine but inside dining only

The Carlton terrace restaurant has a great location and food usually good

La Potiniere du Palais oppsite the Palais is reliable and well within budget

Oh ....Also the beach restaurants open in the evenings in peak season

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
London
London
England, UK
Gaston Gastounette
Gaston Gastounette
507 Reviews
Cannes, France
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Potiniere Du Palais
Potiniere Du Palais
595 Reviews
Cannes, France
Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

We've just returned from Cannes (have been going for the last 12 yrs or so)and usually stay well over a month. We tend to visit the same restaurants, several of them recommened above. Sometimes 2-3 times. In case you'd like some more input, I offer my POV. We tend to go for lunches ~ weather permitting, usually on the beach side, and dine in at night.

The MIRAMAR, lovely sea-views, is a very fun place with up-beat service and a very varied menu. I wouldn't called it classic Provence food but there is something for everyone and is well prepared. If you're there early enough, they will also come to your table and show-case a large platter with a variety of fish & seafood.

I also very much like the MANDALA, just a few meters away and I almost always order their reasonbly priced Degustation menu. Also great views and friendly service (they also have that lovely misty spray to cool you down).

The MARTINEZ ~ we stay just a block away, so pass it several times a day but we never eat there. The decor and set-up is gorgeous but their menu is so Asian -influenced and when In France we dont fancy that. But it's very popular!.

The PALM d'OR ~ very fancy, I even got a little embroidered stool for my handbag, lol, and the food was to die for; lots of small dishes but none of them particularly provencal. The price though really high ~ over 600 Euros for two people.

72 CROISETTE has always been our watering hole/meeting place but it's only recently that we've actually we've begun to to have lunch. It used to be horrible for food but has recently been revamped and has improved greatl.

Although an Italian dish I've had the spaghetti carbonara twice ~ it's the best I've ever had anywhere in the world! (lots of other thing to choose from).

FELIX ~ looks nice and tranquil but we've never dined there. The first time we reserved, the staff was so arrogant and rude (I speak Franch) that our party of 6 just got up and left. If the dining experience begins on such a note it ruins one's appetite.

COQUILLAGE BRUN ~ we used to go there, but in the last couple of years we discovered the RENDEZ VOUS, just a few doors down. It is much more up-market (proper linen and comfortable tables & chair etc) and polite/friendly service. Fabulous seafood and fish and very provencal dishesl. The strange thing ~ it is only a fraction more expensive than the casual BRUN. That street is full of restaurants and I think they get their supplies from the same source... avoid those that look too empty

The Pontiere is a favorite of ours, a bit noisy with parking just a few feet opposite the outdoor tables~ also no view to speak of. It has a bit of Parisenne flair ~ the food is great and frequented by a lot of locals.

LE COIN GOURMET up in the CANNET is an entirely different experience. Very casual but ever so romantic. It does take a while to get there (as opposed to just strolling the Croisette) but the views are spectacular.

Lastly I would like to mention a Restaurant that we tried for the first time this year. It just a short walk from the Croisette on a side street.

LE MELAUDY ~ 22 rue DU CDT Andree, ( lots of resto there but this one is special and has several classic Provense dishes).

They have a billboard outside with specialities of the day ~ so inexpensive! I had a simmered Duck dish that was unbelievably tender and flavorful for 13 Euros. There were Moules for 14Euros etc.

My husband ordered from the main menu one of his favorite ~ Rabbit in Wine Sace. It was divine!. I think it cost 23 Euros.

I hope you have a wonderful time. I'm sure you appreciate that you will arrive at a much busier part of the season, so you might have to make reservations.

Mentioned in this post
Cannes
Cannes
France
France
Europe
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

Soooz and Soames, I've saved your posts for when we return in the fall!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

Ditto, thanks Soooz and Soames, that's a great combined list to choose from.

Soooz asked about Tom Aitkens - we've eaten maybe 4 times in Tom's Kitchen (Chelsea) and think it's great (superb fresh food from good suppliers, nice wines, good service, nice space), and I know that Tom Aitkens has got good reviews since it re-opened (tho it's seen as a bit expensive for that it is).

Most negative reviews on sites which allow anyone to post can however be ignored when it comes to both these places, as there's a campaign (reportedly by his former suppliers who lost £££) to make fictitious bookings (so you need ot give a credit card now to book Tom Aitkens), as well as bad reviews. Whereas if you look at Tom's Kitchen reviews on the popular UK restaurant booking site where you can only review if you turn up and eat, the reviews are over-whelmingly good.

So both are recommended.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

Thanks for the feedback on Restaurant Tom Aikens and Tom's kitchen.

We'll definitely put Tom's Kitchen on the list and start saving for the restaurant..

Hope you enjoy Cannes

10. Re: Restaurant recommendations seem tricky in Cannes......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 05:15