We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iles de Lerins boats

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Iles de Lerins boats

Are there different boat companies that cross over to the islands? Also wondering if it's possible to do both islands in a day without having to come back to Cannes i.e. island hopping by boat? Any ideas on the cost for 2 adults and 2 kids under 18 would be appreciated.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

This is the company I see most often discussed here on TA. There are other excursions on this link that you might want to consider:

http://www.trans-cote-azur.com/

Edited: 30 July 2012, 23:57
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

It used to be possible to hop between islands but the Monks of lerins abbey took back landing rights from other companies.

There is a special ferry for Saint Honorat -info here

abbayedelerins.com/cannesilesdelerins/…

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

Thanks for those links that's really helpful.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

Selkie, this is the first time I've seen a link to the Saint Honorat ferry, and this really has me intrigued for something we might do on the the day of our arrival in Cannes. This will be a half day and our daughter will be working through her jet (my husband and I are arriving two days earlier), but I'm thinking a ride out to the island for a late lunch at La Tonnelle might be nice. Am I reading this correctly that the boats operate on a somewhat shortened schedule after September, but that this is a year round activity and the restaurant is open during the times that the boats come and go?

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

Troggs,

More info here:

http://www.tonnelle-abbayedelerins.com/

Enjoy!

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

troggs - my experience with St Honorat is that it is a destination to be experienced with an approach somewhat more profound than the other 'fleshpots' of the coast like St Tropez or even the neighbouring Ste Marguerite. Not somewhere just for a late lunch. This is probably why the monks have put it somewhat off limits in the last decade. Mrs Loud-Glade and myself, although not especially religious, have found that the circuit of the island's dozen or so pilgrim churches has fulfilled a need perhaps lacking in our everyday material world.

Ed

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

I'm starting to get this...Ed, my spiritual journey sounds similar to yours...I'm not much on organized religion (although, how much more "organized" can you get than an abbey of monks?), but I know when I'm in a place that matters. In the Cote d'Azur, I've had that experience at the Matisse Chapel in Vence and shared a moving moment in the Eze chapel with a friend who had lost her mother a few months earlier. In both places, we (I) have been someplace we didn't expect to be and it was meaningful. I'm adding St. Honoret to my list of what we might do on any given day during our trip. Where and whenever we travel, I'm not much on a set itinerary, but I'm good at compiling list of "might do's" for each day. Thanks to TA, the I get the "how to's." Thanks again to all for your wonderful insights. This might be a good day trip for our family when we have the day together on Sunday. Is the abbey and it's chapels open to travelers on a Sunday in October?

Soooz, thoughts on the restaurant vs. those on shore...setting and cuisine? I've viewed the menu, and in France, my husband is always on the hunt for fois gras, but pan fried and "violet confit?" Sounds interesting. He keeps trying to find fois gras in Louisville that is as he enjoys in France, and Louisville has great restaurants! Me? I'm Salade Niciose and I like the "fresh tuna" part on La Tonnelle's menu.

Selkie, thanks for opening this to discussion, and Red Squirrel, I hope you don't mind my intervening here. I contribute, but I also "lurk" to see what I can learn. We have traveled to the region since 2000 while my husband attends a convention in Cannes, and thanks to your question, I learned something today. :-)

Windermere
Level Contributor
119 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

No problem - trip advisor's great isn't it? I get ideas myself for things to do in my home town of Windermere in the Lake District from reading other people's questions.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

It is amazing the variety of issues that can be resolved on TA. We're going to Chicago for a wedding in two weeks, and through TA, I found a place close to our hotel where we could board our dogs on the day of the ceremony. Several contributors recommended a place that they use for themselves, and we were very happy with what we learned about the kennel. Our problem was solved!

10. Re: Iles de Lerins boats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 10:16