We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Marseilles

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train from Marseilles

I am trying to find an easy and safe way to travel from Marseilles airport to Cannes and would prefer not to drive staying at hotel de Provence which says it is in the city center. Is the train station close enough to the hotel or will I need to take a taxi if I come in at night? I am traveling alone.

1. Re: Train from Marseilles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 21:53
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Marseilles

The Hotel de Provence is under 10 minutes walk from the railway station.

Once you exit Cannes railway station, cross over the car lane and the road in front. When you reach the sidewalk opposite the station turn left then immediately right,(the Station Tavern is on the corner).

Cross over the first small road you come to, then turn left onto the rue d'Antibes which is Cannes' main shopping street ( you will see dark green painted spheres lining the sidewalks). Continue along the rue d'Antibes until you reach the small street rue Tony Allard on the RHS ( look out for the the Benetton shop on corner),-turn right down here, then turn left onto rue Moliere. The Hotel de Provence is about 50 metres away on the LHS .

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Marseilles

The bus shuttle from MRS airport to Saint Charles railway station leaves every 15 mins.

McComb, Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Marseilles

I have just booked Eurail passes (November 23) and have been told that there are now no trains between Marseille and Cannes. None. Rail Europe has absolutely no information on any buses. I contacted the Marseille tourist Bureau and they say there are few buses and presently they have not received current bus schedules from SNCF. We will be arriving at the Marseille St. Charles train station on Saturday, December 15 at 3:16 PM. I certainly would appreciate learning of a workaround for this blockage in our train travel. Thank you in advance. Trains from Cannes eastward are running.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,180 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Marseilles

If you have not paid for the Eurail passes, cancel them. They will cost more than ordinary tickets, and in France the number of seats available to passholders is strictly limited.

The French railways web site is showing some connections on 15 December. You could take a train at 17.36 from Marseille St Charles to Aix-en-Provence, then an SNCF bus to Nice, and another train to Cannes arriving at 22.47.

See www.tgv-europe.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" in the first screen to avoid being transferred to RailEurope, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

Edited: 23 November 2012, 05:36
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Marseilles

The problem seems to be closure of the rail line between Marseille and Aubagne a small station close to Marseille for major works on the line during the weekend of 14 to 16 December . This has the knock on effect of taking out connections to Aix and Toulon from Marseille and hence the huge disruption to train services to Cannes.

There are a few bus options laid on by the railway including the one mentioned above but they take a long time.

Trains are running east of Toulon.

You would probably be better off forgetting the train and booking seats on the coach from Marseille to Nice at 17.30.

It stops at Le Cannet tourist office at 19.45. From there you can get a local bus into Cannes, if that is your final destination

http://www.info-ler.fr/en/

www.info-ler.fr/doc/ficheshoraires/fh20.pdf

Hope this helps

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Marseilles

One bus line that runs Marseille-Nice is called Le Phoceen (Marseille is often known as La Ville Phoceenne, in reference to its ancient origins).

I've taken this bus before when the rail connections are down, which is not infrequently. It goes via Mandelieu and Le Cannet. phoceens-cars.com/transport-paca-ligne-ler-n…

Edited: 23 November 2012, 20:01
McComb, Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Marseilles

I am new to trip advisor and have been more than pleasantly surprised with the responses I have received. They have been very very helpful. I have decided to embark from the train at Axis-en-Provance rather than in Marseille. From here I will catch the 20R bus.

Any tips on getting from the busstop at the Le Cannet office of tourism to the Cannes train station ( our hotel is across the street from station)?

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from Marseilles

Local bus stops are just south of the parking area where the coach from Aix will pull in. Probably easiest to head for the Mistral stop at the north end of bd Carnot, the multi lane carriageway into the centre of Cannes and get on the first bus #1 or 1a direction Ranguin or Hotel de Ville .

From the car park area where the coach leaves you, stay on the same side of the main road and walk south - follow the direction of traffic closest to you towards Cannes centre ( same direction your coach was travelling). There's a complicated junction, but the Mistral stop is on the same side maybe 5 mins walk or so.

The stop nearest to the railway station in Cannes is named Marechal Joffre at the end of rue Jean Jaures very close to the rail station The Marechal Joffre stop is just across another big junction at the south end of bd Carnot.- look out for the red illuminated Monoprix supermarket sign, but there are some changes going on to stops due to construction work, so ask the driver.

If you miss the Marechal Joffre stop don't worry, just get off at the next stop- the bus station with shelters by the harbour and walk back it's not far

Interactive map of Cannes here

http://www.cannes.com/plan/index.php

McComb, Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from Marseilles

SOOOZ-

Thank you so very much! This is exactly the information I was hoping someone would furnish. Our visit to Cannes has already had a pleasant and friendly beginning and we have yet to get there :-). Richard

Get answers to your questions about Cannes