We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

new jersey
Level Contributor
145 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Hi ,

My family and i will be in Cannes for 2 weeks at the end of july beginning of Aug. We would like to also stay in a small town for 1 week offering the country side ,small town, vineyards etc..

We would like to stay in a home or apt that has a pool & maybe even a small beach near or close by. Any suggestions?? For either a town near to cannes or a place that you know of??

Would love your help!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

You are travelling in the heart of the busiest season on the Cote d"Azur and Provence and in the same time period when many French citizens take their annual holidays. So, your choice of accomodations (if you are looking for a vacation rental) will already have been dramatically reduced as many vacation rentals will have been booked months ago. I would start looking right now for accomodations and hope that you find something that suits you...

Here is a good place to start looking for vacation rentals for the Cote d'Azur:

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r620

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Try looking in and around Mouans-Sartoux, Valbonne, Châteauneuf-du-Grasse, and Biot. You might get lucky.

Mentioned in this post
Mouans-Sartoux
Mouans-Sartoux
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Valbonne
Valbonne
Biot
Biot
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Agree with Catullus...you are going to have greater success if you look inland (all of Catullus's excellent suggestions are inland). Plascassier is pretty small...but you might check there as well. Unfortunately...if you can find a place inland...it takes you away from the excellent and readily accessible public transportation that runs right along the coast. There are no trains to any of these destinations except Mouans-Sartoux. So that leaves infrequent buses or renting a car. And a car on the Cote d'AZur in August is an absolute nuisance.

Mentioned in this post
Mouans-Sartoux
Mouans-Sartoux
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

I guess that you will have covered the coast in the 2 weeks you are in Cannes.

Cars are not such a nuisance if you are inland :))

Assuming that you will rent a car for the countryside week, how far are you willing to travel from Cannes ?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

FYI, Plascassier was where Julia Child and Simone Beck worked on their first book.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,457 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

I tend to disagree that there is a great shortage ,even in high summer, of villa and apartment rentals. Sites aimed at the North American market undoubtedly reflect the bouyant interest of travellers from across the Atlantic who necessarily want to rent for a week or longer. On the other hand European nowadays are under time, work ( and maybe money) pressures and tend to increasingly just seek long weekend breaks - aided by budget airlines - rather than taking a villa or apartment for a long time as they once did. There are lots of empty properties around even in high season.

BTW - If you are interested in the Antibes / Juan les Pins area ( on the coast with beaches and 20 minutes from Cannes), the local tourist office website may prove helpful...

www.antibesjuanlespins.com

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Catullus...Plascassier is my regular haunt when I visit the Cote d'AZur and has been for many years. I used to live in Cannes.....but I love the peace and quiet (and the views!) of Plascassier Yes, "La Pitchoune" was the little cottage that Julia and Paul built on Simone's property. I am sure that you know it is now a small cooking school. Plascassier is also where Edith Piaf died after spending the last year of her life living there.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,758 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Our friend's business is in Plascassier, and we have been through the village quite often when visiting. It's a lovely little spot, although the road over the hill from Plan de Grasse is a bit dicey at night. But it's worth it to get to Lou Fassum.

I would love to take a class at the cooking school!

Mentioned in this post
Grasse
Grasse
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,995 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Yes....we love Plascassier! And we love Lou Fassum as well. The villa that we rent there has amazing views out over the Bay of Napoule. I'm with you about the cooking school! The former Child / Beck property is actually up closer to Chateauneuf de Grasse than it is to Plascassier.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 22:57
Mentioned in this post
Grasse
Grasse
Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Weeks in Cannes & 1 week in a small vineyard town??

Have you considered B&B's?

Many can accommodate a family. For a week, it may cost you the same as a house rental and you would have the benefit of hosts who (usually) enjoy helping their guests and giving them good advice on what to do, where to eat, etc.

There are many excellent B&B's in the region, with pools etc. I've heard good things about Villa de Lorgues (not been there myself) - there are many possibilities around the Provence Verte region by Lorgues/Cotignac. You'll find some nice vineyards around Lorgues.

Enjoy!

AzurAlive.com

Get answers to your questions about Cannes