We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

Westwood, NJ
1 post
Save Topic
Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

We are 2 adults with 2 teenagers travelling from Paris to Cannes. I have been to Cannes before but the rest of my family have not. I have inquired about tours and the prices for 4 people is quite shocking. I was wondering about hiring a car service to take us for a day tour to Juan les Pins, Eze and Monte Carlo and maybe St. Paul de Vence. The distances are not tremendous but the areas are just gorgeous and wanted to give my kids the chance to see these places.

Any suggestions??? Trains or renting a car have been considered but the train takes too long and sometimes is really out of the way and would need a taxi. Renting a car is too involved and not willing to drive on unfamiliar areas.

Ideas anyone?? We will be staying in Cannes on Avenue de Madrid.

Thanks,

Cathy

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

The going rate for a mini van e.g. by Nizza Travel - just one of many operators on the coast is around 50 euro per person for a half day , 90 for a full day. Bus tours ( of which e.g the Cannes tourist office can give you a list - picking up from hotel etc in some cases - around half that.

The train ( at least 2 an hour) will get you anywhere along the coast as far as Ventimiglia in Italy - that is Juan les Pins, Antibes, Nice, Villefranche, Monte Carlo, Menton for a few euro and in Julyyou can buy the family pass - Pass Isabelle for 35 euro for the whole group ( 2012 price) - 14 euro for individuals- allowing you to go anywhere on the rail network. In most cases there is little walking e.g in Antibes a maximum of 20 minutes to the Old Town from the station along the very scenic quays : in Nice you can take the tram from the main station to downtown.

If budget is a serious problem you can take the bus from Cannes to Nice for 1 euro each or from Nice to Monaco for 1 euro. Buses also run from Nice to the inland perched villages of St Paul de Vence and Eze - pretty easy and again 1 euro only .You will have to walk in these villages anyway from an outside parking lot if using a tour or rented car.

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

How old are the teenagers?

Are you in Cannes only one day, ie the 7th July?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

Who told you the train takes too long? You have been misinformed! You can be in Juan Les Pins and Antibes in a few minutes by train. Monte Carlo is approx 1 hour by train from Cannes with a view of the sea all the way.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

As everyone has suggested, you can do these stops quite easily on public transportation. I travel from Cannes, and here is how I get around and find my way to the parts of the towns I want to visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

Basically, trains will take you along the coast (about 50 minutes Cannes>Monte Carlo) and buses will take you inland to St. Paul and Eze. From Cannes, you take the train to the nearest train station (Cagnes sur Mer for St. Paul and Eze for the village). You then take a bus from there (400 to St. Paul and 83 for Eze), and I've described how to do that on my post. For Juan les Pins, I would take the 200 bus from Cannes, and for Eze Village> to Monte Carlo, the 112 if its schedule works for you or the 83 bus to the train station and either the 100 bus or the train from there. For Juan Les Pins, the distance is short from Cannes, and I would take a bus as on my post re: Antibes. The directions would be as they are for Antibes, only you will get off at an earlier point.

There is another way to get from Cannes to Eze that I would recommend if you have the time. Take the train to Villefranche, walk to Beaulieu Sur Mer and take the 83 bus to Eze Village. Here is how my daughter and I did it, traveling on the Monte Carlo after visiting the village. Villefranche is lovely and from the top of the stairs at the end of the beach, the view of the coastline is stunning.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k5935…

You didn't say how long you have in the Cote d'Azur, but if you can, I would break these destinations into two days. Maybe, Juan les Pins and St. Paul in one (bus to JLP, train to Cagnes sur Mer, and bus to St. Paul), and Eze and Monte Carlo (a bus between Eze Village and MC). This divides the destinations on either side of Nice. If you only have one day, I would follow the aforementioned Cannes>JLP>St. Paul route, and take the 400 bus to Nice where you can pick up the 82 bus to Eze Village. Take a bus or the train to Monte Carlo from Eze and the train back to Cannes. How to coordinate the bus stops in Nice is something another contributor can help you with.

Have a great trip!

5. Re: Family trip to Cannes on July 7, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Cannes