We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Cannes - Family of 4 adults - what to see?

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Cannes - Family of 4 adults - what to see?

We will be taking a cruise in late June of this year (2013) and will be stopping for one day at Cannes. There are 4 adults, with one person possibly needing a wheelchair for a portion of the time. I have contacted several independent travel companies for a day tour, but am getting conflicting information about what to do/where to go. We figure that we have about 6 hours, and would like to see as much as we can, but balance it with quality time at the areas that we visit. I would love to hear from anyone who has been/lives in the area to hear where/what you think would be the best use of our time. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Cannes - Family of 4 adults - what to see?

Six hours is unfortunately not long enough to give much quality time anywhere unless you limit your visit to one or two places.

There are plenty of standard half day and day tours which will whizz you round several destinations at the rate on knots. If one of your group requires a wheelchair, it may limit accessibility to some places and constrain the scope of your tour

What do you most enjoy- want to see?

Museums/scenery/ perched villages/ seaside towns/a particular place on the coast etc etc?

Edited: 01 May 2013, 10:32
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Cannes - Family of 4 adults - what to see?

With the wheelchair, I would, maybe, take the 200 bus to Antibes for a few hours and either lunch or dinner in Cannes. The only problem with Antibes is that a good part of the old town is cobble (or at least as I can remember), and an expert is going to have to help you determine if there is a suitable route for a wheelchair. For a trip you describe, I think a visit to the Picasso museum would be something I would choose, and if I remember correctly from when I had a problem leg, there is an elevator in the building. The sculpture terrace on the backside of the museum is one of my favorite spots in the Riviera and the building itself is stunning.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187217-d1…

You pick up the 200 bus at Cannes's open air "bus station" (actually, a collection of stalls) and you can view the schedule here by entering the bus number in the search box along the right margin:

http://www.lignesdazur.com/

Come back if this appeals to you and you want more details. I think this is a day trip that will work with limited mobility and in the time you have, but see what others have to say. The bus ride to Antibes is about 20 minutes from Cannes. A trip to Nice would work with a wheelchair, but I'm afraid the 40 minute train ride both ways would cut things close with the time you have.

For dining in Cannes, I highly recommend Coquillages Brun. The seafood is fabulous, and I find the experience a bit unique to other restaurants I've enjoyed in the region. If you like fresh seafood, this is a place you should consider.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187221-d1…

If I could have only one meal in Cannes, this is where I would head. It's a "no frills" decor, but the seafood is magnificent, served "family style" on tiered platters that everyone can order towards and choose from. It's a bit off the waterfront but very close to the harbor, and you can go to a beachfront location for drinks! If Coquillages doesn't work, I've never been disappointed in a restaurant around the harbor or along La Croisette. There are beach level restaurants that are wonderful, and you can decide if that access might work for your party. There are stairways that lead to this level and entrances are marked by flagpoles.

Have a wonderful cruise stop in Cannes!

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Cannes - Family of 4 adults - what to see?

Thanks for responding. We are 3 generations of travelers - so we all want to see something different! I guess what the overall desire would be to see what would be the most suggested areas to see, knowing that we have a limited time. For example, is it better to spend time in a museum rather than drive further to see another town, only to turn around and have to come right back? Not sure if I'm making any sense, but I'd love to know what someone who knows the area would say would be the Top 5 things to see in the area...and we can go from there. I live in San Diego, and I know areas that I would say that someone would absolutely need to see, and other areas that are just tourist traps, etc. If you have any ideas/suggestions - I'd love to hear from you!

4. Re: First Trip to Cannes - Family of 4 adults - what to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2014, 06:19