We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is this sight?

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where is this sight?

In 2000, I took a tour from a cruise ship from Cannes/Monaco. I was foolish enough to think I would remember what the name of the area we were taken to sight-see. We drove up on a cliff and I remember beautiful gardens with lots of stone steps and a panoramic view of the water. On the way back down, the tour director mentioned that we were on the same road that Princess Caroline's car went off. Can anyone help me with the full name of this place?

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is this sight?

The accident happened on the D37 route about 2 miles south of La Turbie just above Monaco

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is this sight?

Thank you for your quick reply. I googled La Turbie and saw the pictures and video. The view is the same as I remember but there were no high columns or a city where we stopped. Any other suggestions? I will keep looking over the information you provided in the mean time.

Finland
Level Contributor
845 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is this sight?

I believe Caroline drove off nearby her mother's fatal crash site once but survived. Grace's lethal accident happened at the municipality of La Turbie, …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…La_Turbie_BW_1.JPG and …dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/09/15/article-22…

However, I assume the magnificent place you described was Eze Village. Does this ring a bell? The local road from Eze towards Monaco passes La Turbie.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images…

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is this sight?

Oh, thank you. Looks just like I remember it! We are cruising this September and had wanted to see Eze. Little did I know. This changes our itinerary to just train travel from Cannes to Nice, with a stop in Antibes. Thank you so much. I was trying to fit Eze in and it just wasn't working. Merci! (said in my best high school French...only 40+ years ago)

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is this sight?

And, you are correct. I miss spoke when I said Caroline. It was Princess Grace to whom I was referring.

Thank you both for the information. It is making my day so much easier to not have to obsess over another tour.

6. Re: Where is this sight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 19:35
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,138 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is this sight?

I think the OP just wanted to know where she had been, not how to get to the scene of the crash.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is this sight?

If you would read back through my post you will see that I was searching for Eze Village. I referenced Princess Grace because I could remember she was mentioned by the tour guide as we were driving back to port. I was hoping that piece of information would help someone locate where I was talking about. Perhaps you should read all the information before you take such great offense at my question-?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
65 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where is this sight?

Yes, Catullus, that was exactly what my question was about. Thank you. I appreciate your kindness in the explanation to the other poster.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 19:06
Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where is this sight?

I'm sorry Merlot ~ but you did say that this information would help others. You are assuming that others have the sme interest as you. You are likely to be correct that such tourists do exists. The mix-up of the different pricnesesses is quite understandable, however, it leads to all kinds of speculations and remains very painful,

I did not take great offence ~ I merely stated an opinion. What caught my eye was that you you said you no longer need to obsess over the location. I've no doubt that you have a perfectly plan for your tour. But the visual of the car crashing down the ravines is best forgotten, by all. The Royal Family does not need thousands of "tourists" slow down and imagine the tragedy.

I'd like to apologize for being so harsh, and perhaps flippant. I don't normally get so personal and scroll on by. Lastly I would like to say that after some after=thought I appreciate that you had/have good intentions.