We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
410 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

We're attending the last week of the Festival in May, and flying into Paris a few days early. Thinking about renting a car and driving (2 days) from Paris to Lyon and then on to Cannes, then reversing the route after the Festival. Is anyone familiar with this trip, and can you give us some advise?

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

Why don't you just take the TGV? Much simpler.......

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

I can see driving Paris to Lyon, though a train is pure simplicity, but the rest of it can be nightmare material unless you have a week or so to wander on the D and N road - grueling highways, sun in your face all the way south, tolls, fuel, megatrucks....and then back again? No way I would do that. France has a superb north-south train system, and it's fast and relaxing.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

I don't know if you have guaranteed parking space during the Festival.? And road closures then make driving in Cannes a nightmare.

Ed

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

Ed is absolutely right.

Cannes is not a place where you want t have a car during the Festival.

Surely you are visitng because are credentialled and accrediited.

Not sure if you have visited the Festival before....but Cannes is jam-packed and parking is non-existent.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

Yes, you can do that trip by car, but it depends on why you want to drive. If the actual driving & sightseeing is part of the trip then there's no problem and you'll see lots of lovely rural Burgundy, etc. If you just want to get from A to B, then the train is by far the better solution.

From Paris to Lyon, there is a choice of routes. I'd suggest taking the A6 freeway out of Paris to Auxerre and then head for Vézelay and on through the Morvan regional park, down to Cluny. Another way would be the A5 out of Paris towards Troyes then Dijon, etc. If you are just going down the freeway (A6 or A5+A6) the whole way then you'll save a lot of time, but you wont see much of rural France apart from fields and the occasional town or village from afar. It's not a bad drive, but not particularly exciting for the most part.

From Lyon to Cannes, I like the drive via Grenoble and then through the mountains.

'A' prefixed roads are freeways and most are toll roads. Tolls in France are quite expensive. Major, long-distance, non-freeway roads used to be easily identified by the 'N' prefix, but over the last 10 years many of these have been stupidly re-baptised as 'D' roads (local) roads for purely administrative reasons and so are aren't that easy to pick out. A good road atlas will help you plan your route though.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 09:00
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

You can also use http://www.viamichelin.com/ to get an idea of journey times and help plan your route. The site has several options for trip planning, including a tourist one.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

<<Yes, you can do that trip by car, but it depends on why you want to drive. If the actual driving & sightseeing is part of the trip then there's no problem and you'll see lots of lovely rural Burgundy, etc. If you just want to get from A to B, then the train is by far the better solution.>>

Agree with dg2006

If you decide to drive, you can usually book car parking at one of the multi-storey car parks on-line even during the Film Festival, but there are road closures and traffic jams which make getting into and out of central Cannes difficult. Best to book as far in advance as possible as spaces do fill up.

Hope this helps

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
410 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

Thanks to everyone for the input. Yes, we're credentialed and accredited, and I appreciate the tip about the parking (I'll look into that ASAP). There are a number of reasons for driving, not the least of which is simply sightseeing but also acclimating to the change in time zone (I'm from the left coast of the U.S.)

I may return with other questions soon. Thanks a bunch!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,885 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

I would suggest flying home from Nice instead of going all of the way back to Paris - especially driving.

Instead of driving to Cannes, I'd rather spend an extra day in Paris and just take the train. The train will be faster, cheaper and less stressful.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Paris to Lyon to Cannes

I can see the point in driving, and do it fairly often myself, but would definitely fly home from Nice as F1racegirl suggests. I'd go further, and suggest you lose the hire car on arrival in Cannes - if you're staying put there for a week, you won't really have need of a car and it will just rack up the parking charges.

Get answers to your questions about Cannes