We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

manchester
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Hello.. my husband and I will be in cannes at the end of june and i am trying to put together a plan of where to visit. We will be staying on the croisette on the 28th june for 4 nights. We land around 2pm so i hoped by 4pm we will have thrown the bags in the hotel and be ready to explore. I have a few work commitments inbetween but have the following days to fill..

saturday 4pm onwards.. nice dinner in the evening..were newlyweds so somewhere romantic would be nice..i thought about the restaurant on st honorat i heard they pick you up by boat??

sunday 9am-6pm

monday 1pm - 6pm

tuesday 1pm - 5pm

We are interested in seeing local attractions, nearby villages..literally anything thats easy enough to get to using public transport. We like the idea of Italy but not sure if to save that for another time..

any suggestions would be really helpful :)

UK
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

I would spend a day in Nice (castle, gardens, Roman site, flower market), half a day each in Haut de Cagnes (largely residential perched village) and Cap Ferrat (Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild), and a day visiting Vence (Matisse chapel) and St Paul de Vence (perched village taken over by art galleries).

Then again you could do Antibes (mediaeval walls, market, old town), Biot (glass blowing and perched village) and Eze (botanic gardens and scent factories).

All easily accessible by public transport which is good in the area.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 21:46
manchester
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Thanks so much i will take a look at the places you mentioned.. i havent heard of some of those so thanks again :)

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Hi there,

La Tonelle the restaurant on Isle St Honorat is open only at lunchtime. It can be accessed via the regular ferry service from Cannes old harbour. So lunch followed by a couple of hours exploring the island might work well to fill Monday or Tuesday afternoon

http://www.tonnelle-abbayedelerins.com/

On your other free afternoon, I would suggest that you visit Antibes by bus or train (bus 200 from centre of Cannes). The Picasso museum there is closed on Monday .

With only one full day on Sunday, consider purchasing a one day Zou train pass for 15 euros and use it to travel along the coastline hopping on and off the train where and when you want.

Depending on your interests, you could perhaps go to Monaco for a couple of hours,then work your way back to Cannes spending the remainder of the day exploring Nice en route.

Or If a couple of hours in Eze village appeals and the weather is good, check timings carefully and take the train as far as Eze bord de Mer station, then the infrequent 83 bus from outside the station up the mountain to the perched village .

www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/…

Bus 82 is more frequent and will take you back to Nice town centre , train back to Cannes

Or you could take the train to Nice, explore Nice before taking a bus or the train to Beaulieu sur Mer, then walk back to Villefranche via Cap Ferrat and have a drink at one of the waterfront restaurants in Villefranche before heading back to Cannes by train

There are many more possibilities, but main advice is to try not to do too much and enjoy

Edited: 28 May 2014, 10:13
manchester
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Thanks very much that sounds great I will take a look, thanks for letting me know about the restauarnt too! i did email them enquiring last week but am yet to receive a response.

I like the idea of going to Nice, Antibes and St Honorat. I also like the look of Vence however with this being a work trip I am worried incase i am late back to the hotel, as by the sounds of the public transport etc. they seem a little un reliable.. that and my husband isnt as adventurous :) .. he likes to get one bus there and one bus back.. think he worries incase we get lost! bless him!

Are there any restaurants near the croisette or marina that you would recommend for the saturday evening? somewhere a little different or with great views etc..

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Vence can be reached by bus either via Nice or via Cagnes sur Mer- take a train from Cannes to Cagnes sur Mer. If you are short on time, it may not be a good choice this trip.

You might consider taking a local bus from Cannes up to Vieux le Cannet which is a medievel hamlet above Cannes ( approx 20 mins on the number 1 bus), or take a direct train or bus to Mouans Sartoux instead.

There is a vast choice of restaurants on and near the Croisette and marinas, catering for all budgets. Did you have a budget in mind and what sort of food/ what kind of place do you like?

manchester
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Thanks for the info i will take a look :) there are so many to choose from i hadnt realised it was so big! :)

Budget - hmm no set budget really.. nothing majorly expensive but somewhere nice for the Saturday evening, good views, maybe set menu..

For the other days pretty much the same or more reasonable rates..

thanks so much fo you help everyone x

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Saturday dinner--the Carlton.

manchester
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

thanks for the suggestion I will take a look at the menu. Would anyone happen to know a good taxi service? i would like to pre book a return transfer from the airport to the hotel. i have googled but im unsure as to which would be the best, most reliable etc..

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Agree with the suggestion above- the Carlton restaurant terrace , and consider the Park 45 at the Grand Hotel and the Sea Sens at the Five Seas hotel too.

Transfer services are hard to recommend. The most reliable private road transport is to take a taxi from outside the airport and from a rank in Cannes (or get your hotel to call one) on the return, but ATS usually gets reasonable reviews

manchester
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers in France...Aidez-Moi..!!

Thanks for that i will take a look :) re transfers work are paying so i would prefer to pre book in advance. I have seen a €30 pp return shuttle so i may just book that. I thnk its the official one run by nice airport. Do you know if thats ok?