We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Union, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

I will be going on a cruise that will dock in Cannes and have about 7 hours at our disposal. With the limited amount of time, what is a better and more scenic day trip, Cannes to St. Tropez or eastward, Cannes to Monaco. I am travelling with my husband and 2 young kids, 6 and 2 yr olds. Is travelling by public transport adviseable? Thanks, would really appreciate some tips.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

With only 7 hours, St Tropez is too far, is difficult to get to by public transport and is not going to work even if you hire a car.

Monaco is easy to get to and just over an hour away by local train and the journey is scenic (usually 2 trains an hour ) - the only viable option IMO.

Allow at least 3 and a half hours travel time in case of rail delays and cancellations

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,048 posts
407 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Look at visiting Cannes itself and/ or visit Nice orAntibes. They are both easy to get to via public transportation.

Also look at Villefranche and Eze.

Monaco is on many peoples' list but you should know there are so many more places on the cote d'azure. Monaco is tiny and urban (hi-rises) and not typical of the charm found on the riviera.

I have not been to st T but others can advise you. I think it is not easy to get to and back with limited time

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Doby's suggestions are good ones but if you want to visit Monaco, go - it polarises opinion and while it is not typical of the French Riviera, I always suggest that people judge for themselves.

Monaco will be easy to get around via lifts and escalators if your 2 year old is in a buggy too.

Although beautifully scenic Eze village or Villefranche are steep, neither is buggy friendly and I would skip them this trip

With a buggy, and small children I would not choose to go to Nice either.

Cannes itself and Antibes make a good combination. You could get to Antibes by bus number 200 from the old port in Cannes where your ship will tender, or by train.

The bus stops in Antibes are more central than the rail station there.

It is useful to have Antibes as a back up plan if you find there is a problem with the trains on the day you arrive too

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,489 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Monaco is about the limit of a train ride within a reasonable radius of Cannes -as soooz says just over an hour. But allow 20 mins walk from the Port; 3 hours in Monaco and another hours for possible delays and cancellations -that's about 6 hours altogether.

St Tropez is not a realistic destination.

Now, as I see Conde Naste Traveller mag have nominated Cannes and Monaco among the most unfriendly places in Europe ( possibly because you are most likely to meet unfriendly tourists rather than locals) perhaps you might consider spending the time in Nice or Antibes with no risk of missing your ship : )

Ed

Edited: 10 August 2014, 15:31
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

I suppose you already been to Cannes and you are now looking for an alternative. If not, then you should just spend your very limited time in Cannes. Regarding st Tropez and Monaco, IMO Monaco is by far a better choice.

Union, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Thanks for all your suggestions, really appreciate it. I am seriously considering just going to Cannes and Antibes to keep it simple. Would have loved to see Monaco but time may be too short.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,132 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

If you are going to just visit Antibes and Cannes weight your time more heavily in Antibes. It is vastly more interesting than Cannes.

When you get off your tender go directly to Antibes and then finish your day in Cannes.

Union, New Jersey
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Sounds good, will do just that. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,132 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Enjoy your visit!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cannes to St. Tropez or Cannes to Monaco

Cannes is lovely. Just stay there. 7 hours is very little time to consider a side trip.