We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Eze from Nice?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Eze from Nice?

I want to visit Eze - I'll be staying in Nice for about a week. I would like to see the old town, but I don't want to drive and I'm not really very good at climbing hills (arthritis - I walk with a stick sometimes) - the train, if I remember correctly, stops at "Eze Bord Mer" which seems to be down at sea level?

Does the bus from Nice take the higher road and stop in the higher part of town?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

There are two busses from Nice that go to Eze Village - which is the place you have in mind - the 82 and 112 from Nice Gare Routiere . Eze Village is 700 mtrs above sea level, which is a difficult walk from Eze bord de Mer, not a good idea.

Alas there are currently horrendous traffic queues between Nice and Villefranche due to long term roadworks, which add up to 45 minutes to the journey. However it is more tolerable if you bring a good book to pass the time on the bus. I suggest Tolstoy's "War and Peace".

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

You also need to understand that from where the bus will drop you it is a steep walk up into the interesting part of the village, which can only be accessed on foot. You will also need to cope with cobbles and steps. Eze is certainly worth seeing but anyone with difficulty in walking is going to find it tough going up and perhaps a little dangerous going back down to the bus stop. The walk down to the station at Eze Bord de Mer should not be attempted by anyone who has any kind of reduced mobility.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
102 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

Would getting up to Eze be difficult for someone who lives in SF and hills are a regular part of their life?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,932 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

If you are a healthy person, walking up and down Eze isn't particularly difficult. The hill is a bit steep but not exceedingly so. Regarding the OP's question since he/she has arthritis, that is difficult to answer since we cannot estimate the impact the issue has on the ability to walk.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

the bus 83 goes from Eze sur mer to Eze village everyday

only 7 bus per day

but from Nice center, it's better to take bus 82 or 112 direct to eze village and not train + bus

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

I'm sure if I can get a bus to Eze village, not Eze Bord du Mer, I can cope with the hills in the village itself. I live in Edinburgh, where, as someone once said "it's always uphill - even when it's down".

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

I know Edinburgh and it's not exactly the same

you have eze sur mer, sea side

and eze village, 400meters high, altitude

so normally it's 1h minimum to walk up with sport shoes

but a lot of tourists do it

do not hesitate to take water, caps,;.. if you are going the summer because no possibilty to stop at the middle, you will have to finish, no snack or bar on the path ::))

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,932 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

You definitely want to take the bus to Eze village, not seaside. It is a steep walk.

When you get off the bus, be sure to check the bus schedule for return since buses aren't very frequent and you can easily sit at the bus station for an hour or two waiting for the next bus. One of the tricks I do is take a picture of the bus schedule. I can then see it on the display on my digital camera and plan my departure time accordingly.

Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

NiceLife & LondonBob

Any idea how long the road construction between Nice and Villefrache will last?

We will be tendering in Villefranche in mid June from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. We were planning to take the 7:50am Bus(100)to Nice but due to the road work we don't particulary want to be stuck in traffic getting to and from Nice since we are in port for such a short time. I had thought about taking the train, but they seem to run infrequently especially on a Saturday. Thinking about going to Eze and exploring Villefranche instead. Is there a bus that goes directly from Villefranche to Eze Village and back? Just trying to maximize our time in port. Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Thank you in advance.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Eze from Nice?

How long the road construction between Nice and Villefrache will last? Ah now there's a good question.

Perhaps LB has inside knowledge but I am not optimistic as they have prepared huge "permanent" signs in Nice warning of the delay. They don't do things fast here, but I can't imagine they would dare run the pipe-laying in the main Nice Monaco road for very long. I'm suprised they haven't lynched the Maire from the queues I saw last week.

There is a bus from Eze Bord de Mer to Eze Village but its even more infrequent, not a better solution. If its not finished by the time you arrive, the trains are really the best solution - there's usually one within thirty minutes.

Explore Villefranche and Cap Ferrat on foot - in my view much more interesting than flogging the usual tourist haunts.

Is there a bus that goes directly from Villefranche to Eze Village and back?