We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to top of Eze

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to top of Eze

I have read a number of threads and I'm stiff baffled. Please help!

Can you take a bus or a taxi to the top of Eze Village?

Or, is the only way to the top by foot?

While I know walking is good for you (we'll be doing plenty of it), I'd rather not have a heart attack while on vacation.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to top of Eze

"The top of Eze Village" is I'm afraid ambiguous. The very highest point of the village is the botanical garden, which is entry on foot only. That is the place from which you have the magnificent views up the coast.

The village itself is tightly packed medieval narrow lanes built long before anyone invented the car, and it is not normal for any car to enter - why would it?

Most people arrive at the base of Eze Village on the main road and car parks. From here there is a modest upward walk of may be 150 yards before you enter the village proper. There are shops and a perfume centre along this stretch, and car access to some hotels, so I dare say you could persuade a taxi driver to take you this short distance if for any reason you were not able to walk it.

There is nothing especially taxing about it, but it is a "perched village" on top of a "mountain" so a few uphill steps goes with the territory.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to top of Eze

You can't get right to the very top with any sort of transport as the village is closed to traffic.

Essentially, Eze stretches over a large area going from sea level to over 500 meters. There's the sea side bit, called Eze Bord de Mer (or Eze sur Mer) that you can get the train and bus to. There's the perched village and its surroundings, called Eze Village. You can get a bus to the entrance to the perched village (numbers 112, 82, 83), but you can only walk into the village itself. Finally, you've got the Col d'Eze, which is even further up and mainly of interest to hikers (buses 82 and 83).

You're best bet is to read a bit about it before you set off. The official website for the perched village (which most people are interested in) is here:

eze-riviera.com/village/…welcome_village.html

To see the sea level village, click on the "de la mer" box. To see the hiking bit, click on the "haute corniche" box.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to top of Eze

Do you have any health issues that make hills or steep inclines difficult?

Also how well do you deal with cobbles and slippy surfaces [the entire perched village is paved with cobbles and tiles.]

Perched villages were built deliberately as a defence against attack from enemies - they were not intended to be easy for access.

Even now the villagers and hotel/shop owners need to bring goods and take everything -luggage. furniture supplies up and down by hand cart or trolley

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to top of Eze

Thank you wall for your replies. All are very helpful.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,908 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to top of Eze

I'd say the walk up is fair and not overly grueling. If you are reasonably mobile, don't have a pre-existing condition, and take the walk slowly (which you should do to enjoy the scenery), you should be fine. As mentioned in another post, European hill towns are pretty much all built like this.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to top of Eze

What is the difference between the walk from the train station and the walk from the bus stop?

I last visited when I was 15 or 16 and my family took a taxi up and walked down. The walk down to the train station wasn't bad at all (but of course it wouldn't be compared to the trek up).

Now I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to take the bus rather than the train while going up there. Thoughts?

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,893 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to top of Eze

Many of us will know that the famous German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche ( yes, that one, of the Superman) spent a lot of time in Eze. In fact the path between Village and Sea is nowadays known as The Nietzsche Path as he used to use it ( not in the best of mental health). While you might not find much time for philosophising if you were walking up you may have more time for this on the way down. I found a nice little website all about this Path.

http://www.villaparasol.com/EzeFNtop.htm

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to top of Eze

the walk from the bus stopo is either a ramped road or steep steps rising about 30metres relatively quickly.

Easy enough for folk who are fit but harder for folk pushing pushchairs, and folk with walking or health issues. Inside the village the paths are steeper, narrower and cobbles and tiles that are polished slick by a million footsteps -so add extra difficulties for folks with pushchars, wheelchairs and walking issues,

The walk up or down from the train statio via Neitche's path is much much harder than the short walk up from the bus stop - its not paved or edged and is very steep in places with lots of loose stones over rock. Definitely not recommened for pushchairs, wheelchairs, or folk with walking or balance issues.

Additionally the huge rocks on either side can cut off mobile phone signals and give an air of desolaton to the walk in parts

Its a beautiful walk if prepared with water , decent footware etc and allowing at least an hour -whether its worth it to walk rather than take the bus to the top of the hill depends on what you want to do and your schedule and fitness level.

UK
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to top of Eze

You can get the 83 bus from just outside Eze railway station see http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:XnkH0ztnpVIJ:www.eze-riviera.com/emotions/deplacement/bus.htm+eze+village+navette+83+horaire&cd=1&hl=fr&ct=clnk&gl=fr

Additionally, there is a little tourist info kiosk by the station, and it has the bus timetable sellotaped to the door.

10. Re: Getting to top of Eze

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2010, 06:31