We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

I'd like to combine Eze and Villefranche in one day, and even though I have a general idea how to do it, I'm not quite sure about some details, and I'd rather not waste time trying to find my way around, as I'd attempt to be in Villefrance by certain time.

I'm planning to get on bus #82 from Eze to Villefranche and then walk down or wait for bus #80 (they're very infrequent, though, so chances are I'll walk). However, there are quite a few stops - La Calade, Saint-Michel, Les Caroubiers, La Leopolda, Le Castellet, La Corne d'Or, La Pinede, and Col de Villefranche - and I don't know where to get off. Alternatively, I'm looking also at bus #112, which has only one stop in Villefranche - Col de Villefranche. It looks like this bus goes around the outskirts of the place and this is probably not a very convenient stop.

Where should I get off in order to catch #80? If you go from the upper level Villefranche down to the beach, what's the direction of the bus - NICE - Riquier or VILLEFRANCHE-SUR-MER - Le Gentilhomme? I don't quite get this timetable as 3 more stops are mentioned (one even past the last one), but there are hyphens across the columns, as if they're not serviced or something... Unfortunately, the only 2 names that overlap with the names of the stops of bus #82 are among those.

Would the stop you tell me to get off to catch #80 be also the best stop if I am to walk down to the harbor? If not, which one is best for walking (because that's the more likely scenario)? How long of a walk would that be?

If you have any better ideas, I'm open to them, too, but I wasn't able to come up with anything faster or more convenient. The bus going from Eze Village down to the train station is also very infrequent and I'd rather not walk down there (based on what I've read). The distances are so short, but getting around by public transit is kind of frustrating.

I'd appreciate your help.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Distances are short when measured in straight lines but the roads do not go straight down-they wiggle around, have blind corners and rat run areas and often no sidewalks

Bus 112 does not have only one stop within the spread out Villefranche area but regardless of the number of stops , i don't recommend you walk down from the col de Villefranche -it is not pedestrian friendly

You could take the succession of several hundred steep stairs [escalier de campo quadro] down from the corne d' or if you are desperate to drop from the moyenne corniche to the basse corniche [useing either bus 82 or bus 112]

I would take bus 83 to its last stop in Beaulieu , then either get on bus 100 [re-use same bus ticket] or walk to Villefranche

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

*Bus 112 does not have only one stop within the spread out Villefranche area but regardless of the number of stops , i don't recommend you walk down from the col de Villefranche -it is not pedestrian friendly*

Weird... They show only one stop on the timetable.

*You could take the succession of several hundred steep stairs [escalier de campo quadro] down from the corne d' or if you are desperate to drop from the moyenne corniche to the basse corniche [useing either bus 82 or bus 112]*

I wouldn't mind the steps in good weather, but slippery steps are another matter... This weather of yours is starting to freak me out! What happened to the "sunny" Riviera...?

*I would take bus 83 to its last stop in Beaulieu , then either get on bus 100 [re-use same bus ticket] or walk to Villefranche*

That sounds like a better idea! As a tourist, you only look at the names, when you have no idea what the distances are. 83 and 82 run at about the same frequency anyway. Actually, 83 might be even more frequent. That's the same one that goes down to the Eze train station, right?

Thanks a lot, Selkie! :-)

Edited: 28 May 2012, 01:22
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Yes, the 83 goes down past Eze bord de mer station and ends up in Beaulieu across from Beaulieu marina

You may have been confused by the fact that the first stop one can get off at is the col de Villefranche in to monaco direction and it is also the last stop one can board when heading towards Nice

this is the 112 timetable.

cg06.fr/cms/…112.pdf

Edited: 28 May 2012, 01:37
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Now I see why I was confused. For some reason, some of the lines show only this PDF version of the timetable and I didn't notice the rest of the stops are on the side.

Unfortunately, #100 doesn't appear to be as frequent as I hoped. I know everybody is different, but how long of a walk is it from Beaulieu to the harbor in Villefranche approximately? I'd probably love to see a little bit of Beaulieu, too, since I'd be there.

I'm stressing out over this because I want to catch the boat tour out of Villefranche at 3 p.m., which I probably won't be able to do anyway as so many people want to do it. I'm hesitant to make a resevation, though, because I'm not exactly sure which day I'll be there or what the weather will be like... Planning "fun" is just so much work when you have limited time!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

I traveled in the other direction from you trip, Villefranche>Eze du Bord and this fall, I'm probably going to bisit Villefranche with my daughter on our way back from Eze. I'm going to take the 83 bus to the Eze du Bord train station and the train To Villefranche. I prefer this route because I think it's easier to find the Villefranche harbor, Port de la Sante, from the train station. In general, I find it easiest to arrive in a destination by train, but that's the tourist in me. I find it easier to find my way from a train station than deciding at which bus stop to disembark, and other routes make more sense to the people who live there.

From the VF train station, you simply walk down the two flight of steps from the train station. You will be in the beach area of VF, and facing the water, the harbor will be to your left. You will be paying for train fare from Eze du Bord to VF, but it's not much and I go for simplicity. If you are heading back from VF towards Nice, Antibes or Cannes. you can buy a ticket with any of those resorts as your destination and make a stop in Villefranche.

These are all good options and it's about what works for you.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

The 100 bus is pretty regular- about every 15 minutes weekdays and Saturday, every 20 minutes on Sundays and public holidays

cg06.fr/cms/…100.pdf

The walk from Beaulieu is very pleasant- its 3 and a bit Km - 40 mins would a pleasant amble for most people and give time for stopping to admire the view.or take photos without rushing -but it could be done in less

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

NB - Facing the water, after descending the stairs from the train station in Villefranche , the harbour ie Port de la Sante and Villefranche old town are to your RIGHT,

cap ferrat and Beaulieu are to your LEFT

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Selkie, your right, it's right...I tried to edit and change it but the time had passed.

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

*I'm going to take the 83 bus to the Eze du Bord train station and the train To Villefranche. I prefer this route because I think it's easier to find the Villefranche harbor, Port de la Sante, from the train station. In general, I find it easiest to arrive in a destination by train, but that's the tourist in me. I find it easier to find my way from a train station than deciding at which bus stop to disembark, and other routes make more sense to the people who live there.*

Yeah, that's a good option, too, but I don't know how frequent these trains are. I also would rather end up at the train station. The different levels of these places and the different mass transit servicing them is what makes things so frustrating.

Thanks, Troggs. :-)

*The 100 bus is pretty regular- about every 15 minutes weekdays and Saturday, every 20 minutes on Sundays and public holidays *

That's what I thought at first, too. You're right. I think I must've looked at another timetable.

*The walk from Beaulieu is very pleasant- its 3 and a bit Km - 40 mins would a pleasant amble for most people and give time for stopping to admire the view.or take photos without rushing -but it could be done in less*

Sounds lovely, if I wasn't trying to make that boat. I think I might not need that much time in Eze, though. I've been reading that most people don't spend more than an hour or two, unless they eat there. I'll probably end up not enjoying the walk and NOT being able to do the boat tour, either, because I bet many people would book it online. One would think these boats should run all the time... Do they not know what's good for them or are they so rich that they don't care...?

10. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 May 2012, 02:37
Edited: 28 May 2012, 02:37