We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How steep is Eze?

Which Eze hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
How steep is Eze?

Will be visiting Nice and Eze from Monaco. Wondering how steep Eze is in comparison to

Les Baux, Gordes, Roussillon (for someone with bad knees).

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How steep is Eze?

It is quite steep. From the car park you have a steep ordinary road up for about 250 yards, then you start on the steps and cobbles, all pedestrianised. There are rails to hang onto throughout most of this part, which make it easier. The worst is that it can get slippery if wet. If you have managed Les Baux and Gordes, you will manage Eze, and it is worth it...

Have a good trip!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How steep is Eze?

It is very steep and the cobbles are slippy even when dry because they are so polished , and there are even notices to that effect in strategic places on the way up

This can be awkward if you have dodgy knees because your feet can twist from under you in a very unpleasant and painful way . Good grippy footwear is vital.

Additionally there are many steps inside Eze which are unevenly spaced and have uneven heights which causes further problems for people with mobility issues.

Inside the jardin Exotique, there are further ueven steps and this time with the addition of sheer seeming drops, which adds to the feelings of instability

There are some handrails but not everywhere i often see people turning back.

there are plenty of alternatives that are considerably flatter.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 08:23
Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How steep is Eze?

Thank you both for your replies. The trip to Nice and Eze is one of the excursions offered by our cruiseship.

If they will allow me to go only as far as I can manage(as I did in Gordes and Les Baux), will give it

a try. There is another excursion to Cannes, Grasse and St. Paul de Vence, but we were interested in seeing Nice.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How steep is Eze?

Hi Uma, me again. St Paul de Vence is slightly less steep for the most part, but doesn't have the views down to the coast (you can see the sea in the distance). it might be a better option, but only you can decide. Hope you have a great trip, whichever excursion you decide to take.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How steep is Eze?

If you do the tour and go to Eze village and don't feel able to walk up, you can get a really good view of Eze village by walking across the viaduct

Or take the bus up the hill a stop to get a view of Eze from above. [ you could probably walk this as though it is steep, its a bit easier since there is a normal pavement. and its not as steep as the route up to Eze village - also if its in summer the edge is planted with lavender and it smells nice along this path]

You can avoid most of the hills in st paul de vence, but that will also mean missing most of the arty biz and the Folon chapel . It isn't as slick underfoot , though

Edited: 27 March 2013, 14:39
Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How steep is Eze?

Thank you both, again, for your info. and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How steep is Eze?

Did forget to mention we will be in St. Tropez and Monte Carlo August 25 and 26. Don't know if that would impact where we should go??

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How steep is Eze?

How long will you get in port in Monaco?

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
32 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How steep is Eze?

We're in port from 8 am to 10 pm. Excursion we chose is 8 hours and covers Monaco as well as Nice and Eze. Leaves first thing in the morning, so should end around 4-4:30 pm.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,526 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How steep is Eze?

Hi Uma...Eze is certainly steeper than Gordes and Les Baux. And as Selkie says, the cobbles are very slippery when dry and treacherous when wet. Have fun but approach with caution!

You mentioned a stop in St. Tropez. While it is not one of my favourite destinations St Tropez is a very pedestian-friendly stop. Easy to walk....