We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

How far is Chateau Gourdon from Grasse, please?....walkable distance?

We will be staying in Nice; can you please tell me if there is a bus we could take and, if so, which one?

Many thanks

Elaine

Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
451 reviews
from US$97.40*
US$108.20
Small Group Tour: Grasse, Gourdon...
44 reviews
from US$135.50*
Monaco Super Saver: Small-Group Tour...
16 reviews
from US$143.00*
Full-day Cannes, Gourdon...
13 reviews
from US$123.10*
London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

Still hoping for help, please

Seattle
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

Gourdon is perched village located about 20km from Grasse. It high up on a cliff. I visited the village on a private tour which included St Paul de Vence, Vence and Gourdon. It is one of Plus Beaux Villages. It is a very scenic especially on a clear day since you can see a distance from the lookouts in the village. It is also known for pain d'epice (honey gingerbread). I had only a short time so I didn't visit the Chateau. The gardens were on my list of Riviera gardens but they were closed in September.

It looks like it is difficult to get to the village by bus. There is twice-a-day TAM bus that runs from Grasse to Cipieres and Greolieres and stops in Gourdes. It is TAM bus 512. Here is a link to the

www.cg06.fr/transport/lignes-tam/512.pdf

From Nice, you'd have to get to Grasse in time to catch the morning bus.

According to the Gourdon Tourism site

(http://www.gourdon-france.com/) there is also an Envibuses that goes to the village. I checked out the map (plan) and I don't see an easy way to get there using this system.

http://www.envibus.fr/default.asp

If you really want to go, I think your best bet will be to rent a car or a driver. It would be easy to take in several of the villages in the area such as St Paul de Vence, Vence, Tourette sur Loup, Le Bar sur Loup.

Good luck

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

That is really helpful, thank you - very kind of you to take so much trouble.

We will be staying in Nice and going to a wedding at Chateau Gourdon, so looks like it will have to be a taxi or hire a car.

It's going to be so beautiful but getting more expensive by the day!

If you don't mind offering one more piece of advice, please: do you reckon it's easy to find if we hire a car? .....Won't have time for our normal trick of getting lost around country lanes, so perhaps a taxi is safer.

Thanks so much for your time and advice.

Cheers

Elaine

Seattle
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

I haven't driven to Gourdon so I'm not the best person to advise you on the trip. We did drive from Grasse to Nice and it wasn't too bad. Once you get to Grasse, the road goes directly to Gourdon.

When I've driven in the area (Cagnes sur Mer or Villeneuve-Loubet), I have found it a little confusing getting through the cities. I've gone the wrong way a couple of times in that area. Also, the road is very windy and narrow as you climb up to Gourdon.

As far as a taxi, do keep in mind it is about 40-50km to drive from Nice to Gourdon. I suspect it is going to be pretty expensive.

Maybe a local member could give better advice about getting there. :)

St. Laurent du Var
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

Hi, when you stay in Nice the best way is to rent a car or to take a local service (driver and car) to take you up there. No way to walk in each case. From Grasse is is 20, from Nice 45 minutes to drive if you know the way. From Nice is no bus directly to Gourdon. Only way is to take a train to Grasse or a bus, to change there and take another bus to Gourdon.

rgds

London
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

Thank you both very much for the really helpful advice.

At least I now know what we can't do.

I must look at the options of car hire and allow time to get lost, or the expense and complications of a taxi.....really don't know.

Many thanks for your kind attention.

Happy travels

Cheers

Elaine

nice
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

Or you can contact a company that make private transfers like this one :http://www.med-tour.com/transfert.htm.

The price of the transfer from Nice to Gourdon is not written on the site but you can call them to ask. It is cheaper than a taxi anyway

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

Finding Gourdon is not difficult, as there's just the one road that runs out to the village and back. It's the D3, accessible just east of Grasse. That's the most straightforward route. Plan on an hour of driving time, as the road curves quite a lot and is only one lane each direction.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

There's a shuttle service listed on the Nice airport site that we used last December; the company also has cars with drivers, which is what we ended up with as there were just the two of us at the time. That might work well for you.

10. Re: Chateau de Gourdon, Grasse - + bus from Nice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 14:39
Get answers to your questions about Grasse