We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

South Salt Lake...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

We would like to stay in a Villa within walking distance to a safe village within 1 hour from Cannes or Nice. We are having a hard time knowing which village to choose. We looked at Grasse, but it sounds like it may not be terribly safe. We also considered Fayence but are open to suggestions. Thank you!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

Grasse is safe, but the hills and narrow roads make getting around a bit difficult- easy to get lost in, even when you know the general area. If you want something in that area, look for rentals on the plain rather than up near Grasse (which is not, by the way, a village). Something near Mougins would be good, but be sure to check out the exact location very carefully. Last December we had planned to stay in a B&B that looked just off a main road, with easy access to the coast, but it turned out to be hidden away in the hills instead.

Have you looked at Valbonne? It's a lovely small town about half an hour's drive from Cannes, and you can find any number of rentals nearby. Another possibility would be Biot, where it's possible to find rentals with sea views.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

There are lots of lovely villages and small towns within an hour of the coast. If you don't mind mountain roads, then look at Gourdon, Le Bar sur Loup, Tourettes sur Loup, St Paul de Vence etc etc

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,891 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

What is the driving force behind your choice. Are you looking for a quiet away from it all Villa in the country or is your perception that you would like a villa but the costs near the coast would be prohibitive therefore assumption being inland/remote property cheaper.

Have a look at something like www.holiday-rentals.co.uk to get an idea of properties, prices and location.

Also check out

www.holidaylettings.co.uk

www.homelidays.co.uk

www.ownersdirect.co.uk

As intimated above always check the exact location of property don't leave it to the owners description (too much poetic licence taken sometimes)

On a personal note I use the above websites (www.holiday-rentals.co.uk first point of call) myself for properties in Antibes and Spain. I tend to go for the expat (Brit/Irish) owned properties which are peoples second homes as often these are far better furnished/equipped than those owned by people solely looking to maximise rental income.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

You may end up saving time and travel money by renting closer to Nice, if your ultimate goal is to see the sea towns of Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Villefranche, Eze, Monaco, etc. By using trains and busses, you'ld save the car hire cost.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

If you are set on a villa close to a village with easy access to the coast, I would consider Valbonne and Mouans Sartoux.

If you prefer the facilities of a town, look at Mandelieu too.

In all cases as mentioned above be sure to check the exact location very carefully.

Enjoy

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

are you planning on renting a car or using public transport?

what amenities would you want in your village?

Edited: 03 March 2011, 15:17
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

I too would recommend Mouans-Sartoux, a nice small town that is generally overlooked by tourists. The town is conveniently on the rain line, and it's very close to the main road from the autoroute up to Grasse an down to Cannes. We really like the town, and there are many rentals in the area. The chateau is interesting to visit, there's a modern-art museum, and Les Terrasses is nice for dining.

South Salt Lake...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

Thanks so much to all of you for your recommendations! I was so confused. I looked up the locations you suggested and I feel better about committing to one. I'll see where we can find the right villa and go from there. I really appreciate your help.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 03:33
South Salt Lake...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

Yes, we will be renting a car. We plan to stay along the coast the first week, then want a different experience a little more inland; however, don't want to feel too isolated. We'd like to be able to take day trips to some different villages without having to drive too far. Thank you for your help!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
355 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What town is the best to stay in French Riveria area?

We rented a place in Theole for a week. We flew from Paris to Nice, and drove from Nice to Theole, which is right outside of Cannes. We rented an apartment in a gated community. We were there for a week and it was a fantastic location. It took us about ten minutes to drive to our beach of choice, and there were two pools within the community we stayed, a clubhouse that had a great restaurant. We had parking, the Geant supermarche was a five-minute drive. We took trips to the center of Cannes, St. Tropez, Cabriese, Juan le Pin, Grasse, NIce, Gallerie Meaght, in St. Paul, I believe, and Monaco. In addition, when in Cannes, we hit the Forville Market, and got great food for wonderful dinners on our terrace!

We were so happy with our decision to stay in Theole that we are going back to the same place next summer. AND..the price was right because we stayed the last week of low season!

Get answers to your questions about Grasse