We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping Le Dattier

Belfast
Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Topic
Camping Le Dattier

We stayed here from Aug. 3-17 this year (2008) in a privately owned mobile home. If you're thinking of going here, you need to be aware that beyond the reception, pool and bar/restaurant area, the rest of the site is on the side of a very steep hill (about 1:3). This is a daily chore if you are walking to the pool etc. Secondly, there is a disco 3 times a week that will disturb you, unless you care for French drum and bass and techno-sounds played at tile-rattling volumes. Thirdly, they are not too fussy who they rent camping pitches to. While many French sites - and we've stayed in lots over the last 20 years - will be careful not to allow large groups of teenagers and young adults to camp together, the management here were not fussy. Our neighbours, during the second week, a group of 6 young adults (often supplemented by their friends from other parts of the site), played loud music and partied regularly until 3.00am. One of them had an air-horn that he clearly enjoyed playing with, sometimes until dawn. We complained, of course, but with little effect. The pitches are so close together that you might as well give up on sleep, and that we did for many nights, while I mused on the many other things I could do with an air-horn.

We didn't find that this site had many compensations, beyond being small enough so that your children did not get lost. I was very disappointed at the poor standard of supervision here, but maybe this is a result of the soaring eur0 rate and shortage of tourists? The restaurant manager did tell us that his takings were well down this year because many French people were staying at home (while presumably encouraging their young off-spring to go camping). Any way, we will be back to France, but not to Le Dattier.

England
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping Le Dattier

Le Dattier is a great site to stay on. I lived on this campsite for approx. 6 years. My parents worked on the site the whole year round and ran the restaurant and shop for 2 years. Obviously I knew many people on the site and they were and still are all amazing. The atmosphere on Le Dattier is great. Unfortunately you do get hills(it's the south of France, there are hills everywhere), discos and teenagers. Hello it's called a holiday!!!

I no longer live on the site now, my family and I moved back to England. We spent a week of our holiday on the campsite this summer. It was great!!! When you visit the campsite's website it tells you there are discos and music, so you can make a choice. I know for a fact that the owner of the campsite is strict on the entertainment finishing between 12.30 and 1am as he has to comply with French noise law.

Le Dattier is one of the smallest campsites in the area. Many owners on the site have made good friends and holiday makers that come year after year have become part of this circle of friends.

Caravans and tents do not keep out any noise, no matter what campsite you stay on!!! You could be unlucky enough to end up next to a noisy family no matter where you stay!!!

If no noise, hills or discos is what you are looking for I suggest that you visit the lovely retirement home 40 mins away in a small little village called Le Thoronet!

If you are looking for a great place to stay in the South of France, where your kids are safe, you make nice friends and have a good time, visit Le Dattier!

Stephanie xxx

2. Re: Camping Le Dattier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Frejus